Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red dots for non-critical use

I'm in the market for a cheaper red dot sight and have narrowed it down to either the Vortex SPARC AR or the Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot. I can get both for about the same price so that isn't a factor. The Vortex seems to have much lower battery life and I haven't heard too many reviews. I've heard mostly good things about the Primary Arms, including positive reviews from guys who have mounted them on high round count shotguns which is a good sign from a durability standpoint. Anything else I haven't considered between these two?

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Couple of TRS-25's for me. On a Ruger 77/357 & a 7.62 GSR. GSR one was sighted in as a back up to the Burris Scout scope, but it really works well for this part of the country. Take a licking and keep on ticking.

I'm using a couple of the super cheap Field Sport Red Dot sights (couple good torture test of these silly cheap dots on YouTube ) on a 15/22 SBR & a Contender SBR. Both holding zero and working without any issues.

Also have a pair of Burris FF3's, one on a 5.56 AR SBR in their AR other on a 22/45. Also working great with no issues.
    Last edited by jandbj; 10-08-2017 at 05:45 PM.

I have two TRS-25 sights. One is on a S&W M&P 15-22 and the other is on a Ruger 10/22. No complaints. I just bought two Vortex Sparc AR. One is on a 300 BLK Ar-15 pistol and the other is going on a M4 style 300 BLK. I like the Sparc ARs so far.

Site Supporter
    I am using some "new old stock" Tasco PROPOINT PDP3s I found on line cheap. These were one of the few red dots that survived on USPSA Open pistols for any length of time when RDS started in competition. I still use one of the PDP3s that survived an Open 38 Super 1911.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I can't quite bring myself to purchase a SIG Romeo 4M optic for serious use, but I'm tempted to put one on my M&P 15-22. I like the idea of the EOTech style reticle in an Aimpoint Micro sized package.
    The SIG Romeo Optics appear to be made in the same factory as the Holosun and Primary Arms MRDS.

I have a 4M and two of the cheaper Romeo 5's and they have all been good to go. The big difference in the 4M and the other Romeo 4 models is the 4M is marked "assembled in USA" on the bottom of the sight instead of made in China. The 4M was also priced above the other Romeo sights, $400 to $500, basically into used / bulk purchase Aimpoints H1 territory.

Unfortunately the SIG Romeo 4M has been discontinued.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-10-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Site Supporter
    I've also had good luck with a pair of Busnell TRS 25 on .22 LR rifles.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    I'd recommend the Vortex SPARC for a budget Red Dot, they've found to be pretty durable and Vortex's warranty is unbeatable period! We have the SPARC AR and SPARC II in stock right now! http://bit.ly/2hA7vfW Call 916.670.1103 for member pricing

An article on it: Vortex SPARC II: The Dot That Would Not Die

Read more: http://www.recoilweb.com/vortex-spar...#ixzz4v9etANSk
    Last edited by CS Tactical; 10-10-2017 at 07:27 PM.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Site Supporter
    If we're going to include $200 "tube" style dots, then the Ultradot units have a good rep with big bore handgun hunters. I spoke with one here in VA who has used his on a number of very powerful handguns and it shows no sign of failure. I had one for a bit on my 44mag. It held up to 300gr loads just fine, but I couldn't tolerate the smeared dot (my astigmatism, not the unit*) and sold it to a friend. AFAIK, it's still in service on his AR.

*It's ok for "fast shooting" or informal plinking, but wasn't tolerable on a hunting gun I intended to use out past 50yds.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Doubletap
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 10-11-2017 at 07:57 AM. Reason: doubletap

User Tag List