Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dots for non-critical use

Red dots for non-critical use

I know the consensus here is that for serious working guns, the reliability of RMRs and Aimpoints is well worth the cost. But what about those not-so-"serious" uses -- .22s, casual plinkers, "range toys" -- where a failure would just be an annoyance? What inexpensive red dots have folks had good luck with on pistols and/or long guns?

I have one data point: I've had a Burris Fastfire III on a Ruger Mk. II .22 for several years. I've had no trouble with it and it's been fun to shoot.
    Last edited by peterb; 10-07-2017 at 04:34 AM.

The deciding factor is does the sight reciprocate with the slide or not. I've had great luck with a C-More on a Ruger 22/45 and a tac sol upper. With this model you can also change the size of the dot via changing a module in the sight.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    IIRC, several past threads have mentioned the Primary Arms Micro as being a good choice for casual use.

Site Supporter
    I've got a little Chinese red dot for my Ruger 22/45 that has worked great. One thing I like about it is the ability to choose your "dot". One option is crosshairs. Those not only allow more precise targeting, they don't blur and smear like a regular dot does for me. I paid about $30 at a gun show for it.

I also have a Bushnell TRS-25 on my AR that has been great. It's backed up by Magpul BUIS, but I've never had a failure or POI shift.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post

I also have a Bushnell TRS-25 on my AR that has been great. It's backed up by Magpul BUIS, but I've never had a failure or POI shift.

Chris
    X2 on the TRS-25. I have one that has been on several of my non-AR guns and it's just keeps working. It's currently at home on a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag. As budget red dots go it's hard to beat.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    X2 on the TRS-25. I have one that has been on several of my non-AR guns and it's just keeps working. It's currently at home on a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag. As budget red dots go it's hard to beat.
    Good to hear it holds up on a rifle as well. I've been considering a 2nd one for either my Redhawk 44mag or my Encore 35Whelen (the latter might be a bit much).

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Good to hear it holds up on a rifle as well. I've been considering a 2nd one for either my Redhawk 44mag or my Encore 35Whelen (the latter might be a bit much).

Chris
    It also spent several thousand rounds mounted on a VZ-58 SBR (7.62X39). It got pretty hot with that setup and I used it during at least one carbine course with that platform. It's a decent casual use unit.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 10-07-2017 at 08:35 AM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

If you can buy American do it, unfortunately there aren't many American brands which are worth the money which are also "non critical" they are just too cheap and most likely made in Asia.

I'd advise in looking at a holosun, as it'll work well enough.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I have a Primary Arms micro dot on my AR. I think it's the "MD-06L" or something like that. I returned the first one, as the mount had a stripped screw. I still have the replacement.

Mounted easy, zero'd easy. Has held zero despite at least one narly fall that dinged the finish. Battery is around 5 months on #4 setting. Works well.

My AR isn't in any primary defensive role, and the PA works well. Many advise against anything but Aimpoint/eotech/trijicon for defensive use. If you can afford those, they are definitely better. But it doesn't mean the affordable options cant work. If my AR had to be used defensively (again, not its primary function) I wouldn't worry much about the PA.

-Cory

I've got a Vortex SPARC AR on one of my AR15s and it feels very nicely built. I haven't put it through the ringer, but I'm not hearing a whole lot about failures with them over the last couple years. Seems like a good option for $200 for a HD gun, even if it's not an appropriate option for a duty rifle.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List