Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are these grips a thing? OEM Only?

Are these grips a thing? OEM Only?

Looking to see if these are something that can be purchased:
    Name:  These Grips.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  15.4 KB
    Are they something that got caught up in the Uncle Mikes situation?
    Just would like a pair or two without buying the gun.

I believe I have a set thats the same shape but made by Pachmayr. If theyd work for you, I'll send them to you. Let me find them and take a pic.

I had a pair that I sold with a j frame a while back as a spare. I'm not sure who made them; the profile looks a hell of a lot like uncle mike's combat grips, but those have a grip screw on the left side that isn't there in the photo. Hogue monogrips are also very close and readily available (and cheap), if you're willing to compromise.
    I'll keep looking and edit my post if I figure out a source for them.

If you look closely, you can see the S&W logo on the lower part of the grip in the photo you posted. I can't find them on their site currently, but they have the boot grip version (exposed backstrap, shorter bantam style) listed here. Might just wanna call em.

http://store.smith-wesson.com/webapp...layErrorView_N

Hogue makes these below of a similar profile. Similar to the Crimson Trace 305s. I'm a fan of both for pure shootability, but both take them out of pocket carry size for me in most pants, FWIW.

A popular mod when the Uncle Mike's model was available was to cut just the end of the grip off flush with the revolver's frame. It made the grip pocketable, while still giving a bigger-than-bootgrip handful. The grip also covers the back strap reducing recoil and increased the trigger reach a bit. It was made of less sticky rubber than the similar Hogue.
    Last edited by APS-PF; 10-06-2017 at 08:25 PM.
    Adam

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Hogue currently makes this version. It goes all the way up the backstrap of the Centennial models, so you can get a really high grip, with geometry to the trigger similar to a high grip on a K-frame. Kinda bulky for pocket carry, but should be good on shootability.

https://www.hogueinc.com/s-w-j-frame...mer-grip-black
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    A popular mod when the Uncle Mike's model was available was to cut just the end of the grip off flush with the revolver's frame. It made the grip pocketable, while still giving a bigger-than-bootgrip handful. The grip also covers the back strap reducing recoil and increased the trigger reach a bit. It was made of less sticky rubber than the similar Hogue.
    Works really well.

I found the ones I have, they are Uncle Mikes, and a medium soft rubber, not tacky like soft Pachmayrs. I cant take a pic or two tomorrow with decent light. I dont think they were ever carried, they were in my dads stuff. I like shorter grips for Js, if they will work for you and you want them, you can have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    they are Uncle Mikes ... if they will work for you and you want them, you can have them.
    Yes, I would like to have them, they are exactly what I would buy if they were still on the market.
    But, this would be a very generous gift, they are sought after, just wanna be sure you know what you are offering to give away

I probably should elaborate...

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    I can't find them on their site currently, but they have the boot grip version (exposed backstrap, shorter bantam style) listed here. Might just wanna call em.
    Yes, I was maybe being a little trite in my post, have just searched and searched for those specific grips as an accessory and cannot find them. Puzzled that they are offered on many of their J-frames but nowhere as an accessory grip. I was sorta thinking somebody has stronger GoogleFu than I do, and were going to reply with "Here is the link, you big dummy".

I should probably better explain myself, I have a 638 and a 340 with the Desantis grips with the clip. Even if you do not use the clip they feel pretty good, and the clip area is actually a little filling, IMO. But I recently got the Dark Star Gear IWB with the metal clip and that has been working well in elastic waistbands, so now I am considering a little more grip length. This is for going to the grocery on the way home from the gym kinda trips. If I end up with an additional J-frame or two, just cause they have different setups for different situations, that is fine, I like guns, and I really like J-frames...

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Hogue makes these below of a similar profile. Similar to the Crimson Trace 305s. I'm a fan of both for pure shootability, but both take them out of pocket carry size for me in most pants, FWIW.
    I bought a set of those in hard nylon with the intent of grinding and stippling, but ground into the internal cavity and ruined them. Will probably try another pair someday, they are really comfortable. I probably shouldn't admit this, but as good as they felt, I was still challenged by their aesthetics...

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Hogue currently makes this version. It goes all the way up the backstrap of the Centennial models, so you can get a really high grip, with geometry to the trigger similar to a high grip on a K-frame. Kinda bulky for pocket carry, but should be good on shootability.
    I had seen those, perhaps I should reconsider those for the 340... ETA: Got a set inbound...

Weight is also a consideration, there are some interesting Pachmayr offerings, but they weigh enough that you could upgrade to the K-frame. Speaking of K-frame, I wish Hogue would make a simple version like these for the J:
    Name:  Hogue.JPG
Views: 719
Size:  29.6 KB

There are some great and beautiful wood grips out there, but seems like they all crop up into $70-$80 and I am really looking to prove the theory at this point. Though I did find and order these last night, $40 from Altamont:
    Name:  AltamontSilverback.JPG
Views: 670
Size:  19.6 KB
    They can go on Dad's M60 I inherited, and I can evaluate the shape.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 10-07-2017 at 08:32 AM.

User Tag List