Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner 2049

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    No offense, but the original is sci fi for smart people who are into symbolism and like a whole lot going on than first glance. If you just watch the movie on a surface level, it is kind of a snooze fest. But if you get the ideas in the movie, especially Batty’s soliloquy at the end, it will make you want to cry at the fleeting nature of humanity (like tears, in rain).
    On the whole I prefer Thomas Pynchon. Guess I'm just shallow. (And no offense taken. I've never been a big science fiction guy though I've read many of the greats over the years. To each his own.)

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    No offense, but the original is sci fi for smart people who are into symbolism and like a whole lot going on than first glance. If you just watch the movie on a surface level, it is kind of a snooze fest. But if you get the ideas in the movie, especially Batty’s soliloquy at the end, it will make you want to cry at the fleeting nature of humanity (like tears, in rain).
    I've tried many times and I am not physically able to stay awake for the duration of the movie. I guess I'm just too dumb for it.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    Re: Original: The Director's Cut version rules. Just gets better with age.

Pretty excited about the new one. Getting overwhelmingly positive reviews. Curious about the almost entirely different crew and cast choices. I'd think Ridley Scott wouldn't trust his legacy to another director but then again, I bet he retained final cut privileges.

For those that fell asleep during Blade Runner, you'd love the 1972 version of Solaris, one of my favorite movies (and novels) of all time. My wife literally passed out half a dozen times without making it to the "Intermission".
    Last edited by modrecoil; 10-06-2017 at 07:47 PM.

The original "Invaders From Mars", "World Without End", "The Day The Earth Stood Still"...now those were movies.

Hmmm, sounds like this could go either way; opposing views from folks I respect on both sides. Guess I'll have to give it a watch and try for myself.
    Last edited by LOKNLOD; 10-06-2017 at 07:55 PM.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Hmmm, sounds like this could go either way; opposing views from folks I respect on both sides. Guess I'll have to give it a watch and try for myself.
    Be prepared...

Quote Originally Posted by modrecoil View Post
    For those that fell asleep during Blade Runner, you'd love the 1972 version of Solaris, one of my favorite movies (and novels) of all time. My wife literally passed out half a dozen times without making it to the "Intermission".
    LOL - yep, that is a slow one. I actually kind of liked the Clooney “remake” too - very different but with merit.

Blade Runner 2049 better not let me down. It takes a lot to get me to the theater these days - usually just a new Bond or John Wick movie tbh - and I hate laying out the cash for trash ;-)

This one looks great, though. The three short prequels were quite good...
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I've never seen the original. Should I?
    Unfuck yourself.

Ok, kidding. Maybe... or not.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I didn't get the movie at first either and thought it was total meh (THIS is the famous Blade Runner???) so I had to cheat and read about it by smarter people than me. Then I gave it a go again and every time I watch it, I love it more and more.

If you decide to watch the movie again, look for all the symbolism that has to do with sight/seeing. Then, watch it again, and see all the symbolism that has to do with the frailty of humanity. Then, creator/creation. You can just keep working through the major themes of the movie and you start seeing more and more. Then, scenes that first appeared completely weird (like all those mechanical dolls) start making sense and you see the brilliant art behind the movie and how all the themes reach a crescendo with Batty's soliloquy and death.

If you've ever seen Minority Report, the same kind of thing is going on there (but a better and more rewarding plot in my opinion).
    Last edited by FPS; 10-06-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List