Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: FNS-9

FNS-9

I distinctly remember seeing some FNS-9 info on PF recently, but I haven't been able to find it in the last hour, so I decided that I'd start a new thread. I'm first on the list at my local LGS for when these come in, and the owner told me that would be soon (shortly after SHOT). Otherwise, I'm just trying to solicit some info from you guys that might have already handled and or shot the FNS.

Why am I so anxious you might ask? I'm a Glock guy through and through, but I usually end up doing A LOT of grinding, sanding, and other ergonomic enhancements before a Glock "fits" me just right. The reason I'm such a Glock guy is because that is what we have to carry at work, and I never really shot pistols a whole lot before getting into LE. Anyway, I've handled and almost purchased FNP's and FNX's several times in the past, and they feel great but I'm always hesitant because I'm so used to the striker fired way of life. I'm not excited about the manual safety, but I'll work around that for now as I have not heard of any non-safety models being available yet.

I will certainly share my LEO trainer/ amatuer guy who shoots a lot, thoughts and opinions once I get mine in but I'd love to hear from some experts in the meantime. Thanks guys.

I'm looking forward to it as well:

-Discreet and well placed thumb safety (AIWB)

-It has a very similar silhouette to the M&P full-size that I carry now, so I may be able to get away with the same holsters.

-FN doesn't seem to make a habit of building pistols that unlock early.

-Same operating system as my current platform.

Looking forward to hearing about this gun, and I'll probably buy one when I can.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    I'm looking forward to it as well:

-Discreet and well placed thumb safety (AIWB)

-It has a very similar silhouette to the M&P full-size that I carry now, so I may be able to get away with the same holsters.

-FN doesn't seem to make a habit of building pistols that unlock early.

-Same operating system as my current platform.

Looking forward to hearing about this gun, and I'll probably buy one when I can.
    All good points...
    Unfortunately, I've got some more gut to loose before I can make a go at AIWB, but I definitely can see where a safety could be beneficial if that is one's preferred method of carry. Holster's are not an issue for me because I make them, but the M&P'esque shape and feel are another reason I look forward to the FN. The M&P's feel better than any other pistol I've ever felt for sure. The issues that you brought up are the reasons I haven't delved into an M&P before now.

FN states on their web page for the FNS that the safety is optional.

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?i...detail=&cHash=

We have a LE Sub-distributer locally, and I had the chance to handle the FNS on Friday. I thought it was very well done. The night sights are simply the best that I have seen on a factory pistol. The rear sight is serrated with no outlines around the tritium inserts and has a bit U-shaped notch. The front sight is easy to pick up, and the sight picture is very much to my liking.

I liked the grip. I carried a S&W 4006 on duty for seven years. The grip feels like it is a mating between a S&W third generation pistol and a Sig only slimmer. The beavertail is very similar to that of an M&P, and with the flat back strap in it was very appealing to me.

The trigger pull was smooth and light, and the reset was positive. I am anxious to get some rounds down range through one of these. With the qualifier that without having fired rounds to be sure, I like the trigger on this one more than the OEM trigger on an M&P.

Everything is ambi, and the mag release has a nice shape to it while being easy to reach.

Edit to add:

The pistol that I handled was a manual safety model. The safety lever was too small to truly utilized it as a cocked-n-locked substitute ala an M&P with a thumb safety. The dealer told me that models are going to be available without the safety. When they are, it will be very hard to convince myself that I don't just have to have one of these.

If the aftermarket supports it, it could make some noise. I don't think it will overtake the Glock or M&P simply due to name recognition, but if it performs as well as it feels, it will sell.
    Last edited by jlw; 01-15-2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: add info

Good info. Thanks Chief!

Here are some comparison pictures I found online of the FNS next to a G23:

Look at the size of that magwell...

That thing is awesome.

I am particularly interested in this pistol due to the ~4.00 inch barrel and the full length grip. Its like a G19 slide on a G17 frame. I dig the way the shorter slides track and am looking forward to seeing how this pistol shakes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Look at the size of that magwell...

That thing is awesome.

I am particularly interested in this pistol due to the ~4.00 inch barrel and the full length grip. Its like a G19 slide on a G17 frame. I dig the way the shorter slides track and am looking forward to seeing how this pistol shakes out.

I had those exact same thoughts.

Good to see those comparison pics, now I'm even more interested. For what it's worth I emailed FN about availability/ timeframe for the FNS to hit shelves, particularly in reference to guns without the safety. I will post their response once I get it.

I know some places have got them online already, but that can't compete with the arrangement my LGS and I have.

User Tag List