Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Revolver

Another vote for a K frame. Hard to beat. I prefer adjustable sight guns. Lotsa model 15s out there.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    If you are not looking for a carry gun, .357 gives you more flexibility than .38. A 4" or 6" barrel gives you more accuracy. If you will do anything that requires a holster, the 4" will be easier to find one for. Adjustable sights will generally be easier to see, and revolver sights are not as cheap and easy to change as semiauto sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

What they said...

If you want to know what a revolver can/could be like the early K-frames are like butter once they have some time on them. But you pay for that, and you have to search one out (but that can be part of the fun). If you just want to walk in and buy something, I think these are pretty cool:
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms...-combat-magnum
    Yeah, it is MIM, and yeah, it has a lock (I presume?), but I have a M-69 (44mag) that is MIM-Lock and it really is pretty nice, just not what everybody, including me, wishes it was. And it has a pinned front sight.

Do you wanna play with big boomer 357 rounds? One of the GP-100s would be nice. They occasionally make some 5" variants, one that is one My List.

Not mentioned yet is the SP-101. I know you said not to carry , but my 3" is just a handy package:
    http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/...eets/5719.html

Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Used guns, get a copy of "the Revolver Checkout" and then look for a nice used gun. Don't overlook finish-challenged ones, as often their mechanical condition is good. 4" revolvers, back in the day, were often carried a lot and shot little.

For .38s, it's hard to beat a K-frame Smith.

If you're looking at a gun that may be fired inside a room, a .357 is probably a bit deafening.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    This was my first revolver purchase. Love the thing.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Southern Police Supply and Town Police Supply in Virginia may still have some VA DOC trade in S&W M64s in stock for about $300.
    Nope. Not going to go look.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I'm going to add another vote for the GP100. Built like a tank, if you shoot it loose, you will be my personal hero.

Older S&Ws have nicer (smoother) triggers, but are likely to be A LOT more expensive.

For a nightstand gun, .357 is the obvious choice. I LOVE 4" revolvers, but as others have noted, 6" will be easier to shoot well, and the extra length is unlikely to be an issue for a range/nightstand only round gun.

Older K-frame Smith 38. Police or armor car company trade-ins. I have several M64 and M10 revolvers like this and they're excellent. Butter smooth actions & no locks. Much better than current production IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Any chance you’ll be near houston? You can try my Wiley Clapps.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List