Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jerry Miculek, and thoughts on learning

Jerry eh?

My apologies for the horizontal pic. as I’m somewhat of an attachment fud on PF, perhaps someone can correct it.

First is my old training partner showing one of his carry pieces to Jerry one day, as we’re old friends of Jerry & the Clark family & he let’s us self train in one of his bays.

Second was yesterday @ Texarkana Gun Club shooting our standard 1st Sat USPSA match, when much to our surprise both Jerry & Kay decided to show up & get some fam fire time shooting their 1st PCC match.

Name:  B63B15FE-B83D-4771-B4A9-135CACE177C6.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  62B3FE79-1B36-45A0-8C76-31BAD47A7539.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  102.0 KB
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 10-08-2017 at 03:01 PM.

Jerry Miculek, and thoughts on learning

Quote Originally Posted by John J. McCarthy, Jr. View Post
    Competition shooting has a place for self-defense shooters. It trains you to shoot under pressure. The pressure realized in competition is quite different from that in a life and death fight, but in a basic sense the skill legitimately transfers.

http://www.anamericanwithagun.com/
    Have you experienced the pressure of a sanctioned match or gunfight? Jim Cirillo is known to have said he was more nervous shooting the Bianchi Cup than he was in his 20 gunfights.

This is not a competition vs. defense thread. Those have been had many times, and for the most part everyone underatands their relationship. If you don't, please review Primary and Secondary's recent youtube video on Tactical Gamers.

If you have thoughts or something to add about learning more upon revisiting information, i welcome you to post it. That is what this thread is about.

-Cory

Site Supporter
    The first thing I noticed about Jerry was those mitts 'someone' referred to earlier. I think the most impressive video I've ever seen was some super slo-mo ones of Jerry shooting. If you've never seen them, do yourself a favor. It's no wonder he's able to shoot so fast and so accurately at the same time - there's almost no muzzle flip! Plus, he probably works as hard as anyone. As though that wasn't enough, he's an absolute trip to listen to.

Well, in my very short time shooting firearms, it is incredibly humbling and entertaining to watch his YouTube videos and shootout lane TV series. I think the tv series is over. Anyway, I try to watch a lot of his instructional videos every 3 or 4 weeks for new elements to work on.
    And his 1000 yard shot with a revolver is crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    This is not a competition vs. defense thread. Those have been had many times, and for the most part everyone underatands their relationship. If you don't, please review Primary and Secondary's recent youtube video on Tactical Gamers.

If you have thoughts or something to add about learning more upon revisiting information, i welcome you to post it. That is what this thread is about.

-Cory
    Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I "got serious" about a year ago and started regular dryfire, plenty of live fire, and monthly competitions. Recently I keep having these "Aha!" moments when something I read or "learned" a while ago finally falls into place and I get a deeper understanding.

This has made me consider re-reading Brian Enos's "Practical Shooting". I first read it 10 months ago and was hugely disappointed. I wanted a step-by-step recipe to shoot better, and that book wasn't it. But lately I experience things that remind me of that book, and I finally start to understand little portions of what Enos is describing.

I also find myself re-reading old threads on PF that I originally read months ago. With more perspective, I now extract more information than the first time. I feel a little stupid for not absorbing the lessons the first time around, but feeling stupid is not a unique experience for me

In fact, Gabe's vision thread is already open in another tab on my desktop, and today I plan to re-read it for the third or forth time.

This pistol stuff is way more complex than I ever guessed. And yet at the same time, so straight forward. That's probably what keeps me so interested and intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I "got serious" about a year ago and started regular dryfire, plenty of live fire, and monthly competitions. Recently I keep having these "Aha!" moments when something I read or "learned" a while ago finally falls into place and I get a deeper understanding.

This has made me consider re-reading Brian Enos's "Practical Shooting". I first read it 10 months ago and was hugely disappointed. I wanted a step-by-step recipe to shoot better, and that book wasn't it. But lately I experience things that remind me of that book, and I finally start to understand little portions of what Enos is describing.

I also find myself re-reading old threads on PF that I originally read months ago. With more perspective, I now extract more information than the first time. I feel a little stupid for not absorbing the lessons the first time around, but feeling stupid is not a unique experience for me

In fact, Gabe's vision thread is already open in another tab on my desktop, and today I plan to re-read it for the third or forth time.

This pistol stuff is way more complex than I ever guessed. And yet at the same time, so straight forward. That's probably what keeps me so interested and intrigued.
    I liked and then unliked your post, so I could like it again. I think it's the same thing that keeps me interested, it's got so much nuance yet, it's so simple. You have to overthink it to get better, but getting better means no overthinking it. Kinda odd but definitely something that makes it cool.

-Cory

Thanks Cory. Sounds like we're on the same page.

User Tag List