Thread: Asking for tips on Transitions please.

Asking for tips on Transitions please.

First off, I am a raw novice that has been working long time on grip and trigger manipulation and now I'm trying to speed up some. I don't compete except with myself and the timer I guess. I'm doing this work because it's fun and I want to be better than I am. Currently I am working on transitioning. Body to head (failure drill) and target to target (Bill drill).

I am tracking my dot (RMR) if I concentrate hard on it and can keep it in the confines of the window if I work on doing that. Where I am having the most trouble is my herky-jerky movement when transitioning. I can't seem to mitigate it.

I appreciate any help.
    David
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 10-05-2017 at 09:21 AM.

By dot you mean an RMR on a pistol or an RDS on a rifle?

Either way it's the same.

If you are shooting for a body->head or head->body you know where the target is, in terms of distance/location from your current target (especially if it is on the same target) this just requires you go through a process of understanding natural point of aim and how to transition from point on one target to another point on the same target. Especially at 5-7 yards, you could almost back plate shoot or point shoot. If you are absolutely set on using your sights then follow the same protocol for target transitions.

sight focus (front sight for irons, target focus for dots)
    fire the weapon
    second sight picture (confirmation of effective fire/scan for further threats)
    look at your next target/focus on the exact location you want to impact
    transition your weapon to the area of that target
    find your sight then focus (front sight or stay on target for dot)
    fire your weapon

repeat as needed

As far as times to reference, your split times from shooting one target should be fairly close to your split time of the transition shot within 1 to 1.5 yards (my experience). Once the targets are more than 1.5 yards apart then you will see a obvious slowdown in transition time to first shot on target. However, when shooting multiple points on the same target you should have no slowdown between shot splits and transition splits.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    By dot you mean an RMR on a pistol or an RDS on a rifle?

Yes, RMR on pistol. I went back and added that to the OP. Thanks

Either way it's the same.

If you are shooting for a body->head or head->body you know where the target is, in terms of distance/location from your current target (especially if it is on the same target) this just requires you go through a process of understanding natural point of aim and how to transition from point on one target to another point on the same target. Especially at 5-7 yards, you could almost back plate shoot or point shoot. If you are absolutely set on using your sights then follow the same protocol for target transitions.

sight focus (front sight for irons, target focus for dots) < This. This struck a chord with me. I wonder if I am subconsciously moving from target focus to sight (dot) focus and don't realize it. ???? fire the weapon

look at your next target/focus on the exact location you want to impact
    transition your weapon to the area of that target
    find your sight then focus (front sight or stay on target for dot)
    fire your weapon

repeat as needed

As far as times to reference, your split times from shooting one target should be fairly close to your split time of the transition shot within 1 to 1.5 yards (my experience). Once the targets are more than 1.5 yards apart then you will see a obvious slowdown in transition time to first shot on target. However, when shooting multiple points on the same target you should have no slowdown between shot splits and transition splits.
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 10-05-2017 at 09:30 AM.

For RMR's pistols 10-15 yards in (depending on your ability) you should be target focusing and overlaying the dot on the desired area/impact point on the target.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Asking for tips on Transitions please.

My advice would be to not “punch” the gun to the next target, or jerk it, rather move the gun quickly but deliberately and allow the dot to rise or fall onto the intended impact area. Takes a bit of practice but can be done with dry fire reps and mock targets. Also making sure to keep lateral pressure on the side of the grip with your support hand really helps to keep the dot in the window during recoil. Also resist the urge to “chase the dot” like a front sight, keep target focused with dots and proper recoil management will keep the dot in view. Have fun and be safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Seth_yg; 10-05-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Not to pimp his products too much, but Ben's dry fire literature will knock this out if you really read it. Develop index over time, look at target, dot appears at pinpoint you snapped your eyes to (just like a computer mouse). If you're tense other than your hands it's gonna be herky jerky to an extent.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List