Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ND Incident report: A serious look at dummy rounds and dummies in general

If you use no-powder rounds always confirm there's a hole in the case and the primer is blown when you load them in. Additionally, the top round should be something highly visible yet good for reloads (like the mentioned orange snap caps) and the one in the pipe should be stupid visible (those retail store red ones are far better for this as their case section isn't silver).

Dummy rounds should either be made on a press or purchased retail for their actual weight, otherwise they're completely useless. The whole idea is you have lead weighing your gear down properly. Other than that backstop = good, no live ammo = good, and no practice when you're tired = good since you won't get much out of it. Live and learn.

Also, while it was an A it looks like you flinched a little low left.
    Last edited by Peally; 10-04-2017 at 07:59 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Good reminder to reinforce the rule of always make sure what you're loading is a dummy, and to clear all live ammo from the area before loading or dry firing. I continue to make a point of locking any and all live ammo in the safe or locking cabinets before commencing dry fire practice. I inspect each round and say out loud "is this a live round or a dummy? (inspect and pause) it is indeed a dummy" before loading it in the magazine, regardless of the looks I get from the wife on occasion.

As for weighting the magazine, I've been wrestling with that problem myself. It was part of the reason I noted the dummy ammo in silver or copper rounds to use as weight. I'm now also considering painting the body of the mag(s) I use all the time for dry fire a different color. something bright and obnoxious I think.

I too am glad no one was hurt physically.

And to everyone who's pointed out he flinched low and left during an "I fucked up" thread... you're assholes, but my kind of assholes.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I made dummy rounds for practicing reloading a revolver. I "painted" the bullets black with a permanent marker. I tried fingernail polish, but it was too thick and actually interfered with loading.

I'm thinking that loading up a mag with dummy rounds, leaving the top round as a high viz snap cap, then epoxying the whole thing so rounds are permanently attached to the dummy mag, and then painting the entire mag body a different color could help alleviate a lot of potential problems. Still not foolproof, but that could help add a few layers of safety to the whole thing.

Site Supporter
    FWIW: SIRT's training mags have internal weights and can be adjusted if you want something heavier and lighter. They work in real Glocks ...

But, it won't take the dummy round.
    Last edited by JV_; 10-04-2017 at 09:05 AM.

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the Inglorious Club.

For those of us without the scratch to own dedicated dry fire weapons, the next best bet is dedicated dry fire magazines and OBVIOUSLY dummy training rounds/snap caps. I love the idea of "dry fire" magazines with easily identifiable bases, and ONLY using those magazines for dry fire. I applaud the attempt to make your dry fire as close to realistic by using "weighted" dummy rounds, but, sometimes too much of a good thing is too much.

Good on you for having a good backstop. Let us know when your heart rate gets under 100 and you stop shaking.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    It would probably still be fine to reload your own if you immediately spray painted them orange or something.
    I spray painted self made dummies before, and they eventually started flaking little bits of paint in the chamber and other parts of the weapon, which sort of melted into a hard to clean patina when the weapon got hot from live fire. Based on this experience, I don’t recommend going the spray paint route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I painted the bullet part of my revolver snap caps neon orange, and been planning on doing the edge of the rims also so I can see from the side easily. Should be possible to paint enough of dummy rounds to make them instantly identifiable but not interfere with loading or function. Perhaps someone can experiment and report back. I like the idea of bright colors rather than sharpie marks. Sharpie marks wear off on rifle rounds Ive used them on to ID the loads.

On a side note, Ive used colored paint around primers on some pistol loads to make them easy to ID the load type when opening the cylinder or seeing them in a speed loader or belt. Similar for speed loaders, one color for a particular frame size.

I believe Dove treated either the bullets or casings chemically so the color was different when he made his own weighted snapcaps. Can't find the post now though...

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Yeah, don't feel stupid. I've come within a hair's breadth of an ND twice. The most rabid shooter I know likes to say, "There are two types of shooters: those that have NDd, and those that will."
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List