Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustrating Range Day

Frustrating Range Day

You ever have a frustrating range day because you only practiced the stuff you're not good at? I knew it was coming before I went but crap!!! I'm fartin and kicking at it!!

Site Supporter
    I have frustrating range days when I suck at the stuff I'm good at.

Still beats a day at work

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sure. All the time, because I try to incorporate at least one of the following three things on every single range session I do:

1.) One handed shooting, with both hands

2.) Distance shooting to at least 25 yards.

3.) Bill Drills or FAST as fast as I can go while still keeping my hits in the A or appropriate best hit zones.

If you're not at least a little frustrated then you're not doing it right.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Bad days happen. A few choices:

1) If you are practicing speed, try accuracy, or vice versa. Movement, reloads, one hand, or anything different.

2) If that doesn't work, quit early.

3) Continue to flail, beating yourself, wasting ammo, and almost certainly not likely improving your performance that session!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    If I'm practicing something and it's not going well, I often stop practicing it while using ammo, and work on the dry manipulations.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    3) Continue to flail, beating yourself, wasting ammo, and almost certainly not likely improving your performance that session!
    I would argue that if you're genuinely having an "off" or "bad" day that you shouldn't necessarily quit, unless of course you're truly angry/frustrated. If you can get over that and continue on, I've found that accepting my less than stellar performance is enlightening as it shows me what I'm capable of when I'm not performing how I like. Sure it might "skew" your metrics, but I'd argue that it's more realistic. It makes you appreciate your good days when you have them and work harder to have less "suck" days.

At some recent training I discovered a couple scars that I needed to fix and a couple of other things that I need to incorporate into my practice. I believe I made a mistake by working on all of them at one practice session today. So, it left me feeling that I'm not worth a shit at anything, which I'm not, but you know what I mean. I feel I would have been better served to have worked on one or two instead of jumping off the deep end. ?????

Site Supporter
    I have a set of some things I do every time. Always accuracy, target transitions, first shot accuracy, one handed shooting, and reloads.

That takes up like 60% of my total ammo (total being 250 rounds). Then I look at what was bad/worse than usual and use my remaining ammo to try and help that. If it's a lot of things, I like to pick one or two.

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    At some recent training I discovered a couple scars that I needed to fix and a couple of other things that I need to incorporate into my practice. I believe I made a mistake by working on all of them at one practice session today. So, it left me feeling that I'm not worth a shit at anything, which I'm not, but you know what I mean. I feel I would have been better served to have worked on one or two instead of jumping off the deep end. ?????
    More than likely, yeah. That's a lot to try to work on by yourself in one session. Work on one or two. It's ok to work on stuff that you're good at while trying to fix something you're not good at. It keeps you in better spirits and you need to maintain what you're good at too instead of letting it atrophy.

Almost every range session...

"This is supposed to be fun?"

User Tag List