Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions Welcome!

poptopjr,

Welcome! I'm in a very similar boat as you. In my efforts to become a more proficient shooter (and a more responsible CCP holder), I've taken many of the same steps as you. From my VERY limited experience, here's what I can recommend:
    • Dry fire. Seriously. I dry fire at least 5 times a week for 10-15 minutes working on all sorts of skills, from trigger control to reloads. It's like going to the range every single day. It's awesome. BUT--for safety, pick a room in your house that will be the "dry fire practice area" and make it a rule that live ammunition is NEVER allowed in that room.
    • Make your range time COUNT. Before I go to the range, I identify the specific skill(s) I want to address and come up with a plan. I'll choose the drills, print the targets, and plan out my range session so that I don't waste any time or money (ammunition).
    • Develop your own metrics. Some like the FAST, but I would encourage you to pick something that you can repeat CONSISTENTLY at your range. I don't know about you, but I like seeing my metrics improve as my training progresses.
    • Take a class. Internet self-help is great, but nothing replaces the in-person instruction of a professional.

My $0.02, YMMV.

As someone who is also still relatively new to shooting the best advice is to go get training from reputable sources. There are an abundance of great trainers on this forum. Every time I take a class I come away a lot better, with new knowledge, and a drive to get better. Glad to have you here!
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

Banned
    In keeping with the usual tendency for threads to drift, I wonder if it's possible to get a dummy firing pin instead of a dummy snap cap? I just hate snap caps because when I check the weapon I don't want to see anything in the chamber at all, even a snap cap.

What is the natural progression of drills that a new shooter progress through so that at the end they can maintain accurate fire from 50 yards afar.

User Tag List