Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red dot questions

This is absolute potato quality, but maybe it can give you some reference. 3.25 MOA dot, gen 3 17 Atom Slide with their freakishly tall irons. Hoodie is about 7-8 yards away. Normal crappy interior home lighting.Name:  IMG_2874.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  28.2 KB
    Last edited by Ballistic_RT; 10-04-2017 at 05:12 AM.
    Just a father trying to protect his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic_RT View Post
    This is absolute potato quality, but maybe it can give you some reference. 3.25 MOA dot, gen 3 17 Atom Slide with their freakishly tall irons. Hoodie is about 7-8 yards away. Normal crappy interior home lighting.Name:  IMG_2874.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  28.2 KB
    Looking at your picture, the dot looks small and makes me think I could get away with a 6.5 moa, but then I would probably wonder if I should have gotten the 3.25.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic_RT View Post
    1- RMR vs Venom: the choice would be the RMR as far as a carry role is concerned. They have a more proven track record in a duty/ carry role.

2- 3 vs 6 moa: My personal choice is a 3.25 MOA dot. Reason being is you can bloom a small dot larger, but not make a large dot smaller. What I mean by this is when my RMR is set to be functional with my handheld light or outside lighting it is 2 clicks below max. When doing this the dot ends up larger due to a blooming effect. So, if you have issues picking up the smaller of the two dots, keep in mind it can be made larger. I also just prefer the overall size of the 3.25 MOA in window. Many shooters I have talked to that started with a 6MOA or larger have ended up going to a 3.25MOA or smaller. The smaller dot also lends its self to better precision ability at distance in that it takes up less target area the further away you are from the target.

Hope this helps.
    That is the way I manipulate my T2 on my AR, if I want the dot larger I turn the brightness up.

Site Supporter
    One thing I've really been noticing about my RDS Glock....my focal depth will really affect whether the dot is a dot or a streak.

Hard front sight focus on the BUIS will blur the dot...looking "at" the dot will blur it as well. Focusing on the target makes it a dot. I expect that at least for me, this would only be magnified by a larger 6.5 moa dot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I would go RMR. LESS chance of it shitting the bed at an inopportune time.

Having said that, anything electronic can and will shit the bed when you least expect it/want it to. For example, I bought a T1 for my personal work rifle because at the time, it was one of the best, if not the best, micro on the market. Never expected it to shit the bed when I was being shot at. But it DID. Fortunately one of our snipers ended that little reign of terror a few minutes later. That's what back up irons are for.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

RMR06.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Right now I carry a Glock 19 with a milled slide and RMR 02. It has about 80,000 rounds through it and should probably be retired from everyday carry. I am strongly considering getting a Gen 5 Glock 19 and having the slide milled for the RM06 with the 3.25 dot.
    Why not just get a Gen 4 MOS? I love my Gen 5 but I am thinking about a glock with a red dot too and this way seems much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    Why not just get a Gen 4 MOS? I love my Gen 5 but I am thinking about a glock with a red dot too and this way seems much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I prefer the optic specific milled slide for EDC. My MOS has been fine for competition, but it has drawbacks for carry as I see it. Too tall for one thing.

Correct use of RDS on handgun (or in general) is hard threat focus. Otherwise why not just run irons if your going to stare at them anyways?

A lot of that is the photo. In person the difference when bloomed up is appreciable. You cant go wrong either way between the MOA as long as its a RM06. Id suggest trying to find someone local who has either, or a store, and looking for yourself.

User Tag List