Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red dot questions

Red dot questions

I just purchased a glock 19 mos and am planning on installing a red dot. I tried searching the forum for specific answers to the following questions. I am trying to decide between a rmr and a vortex venom, and between a 3 and 6 moa dot. This will eventually be a carry gun. Is the rmr type 2 worth the extra money over a vortex venom ? I believe in the buy once cry once idea but just want to make sure my money is well spent. I have searched for reasons to get a 3 moa dot versus a 6 but am still not decided. I don't know of anyone around me that uses pistol dots to try different ones. Any help or info that would help me make these decisions would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebud View Post
    I just purchased a glock 19 mos and am planning on installing a red dot. I tried searching the forum for specific answers to the following questions. I am trying to decide between a rmr and a vortex venom, and between a 3 and 6 moa dot. This will eventually be a carry gun. Is the rmr type 2 worth the extra money over a vortex venom ? I believe in the buy once cry once idea but just want to make sure my money is well spent. I have searched for reasons to get a 3 moa dot versus a 6 but am still not decided. I don't know of anyone around me that uses pistol dots to try different ones. Any help or info that would help me make these decisions would be appreciated.
    Dot size is going to be personal choice. I have been using a RMR RM02 for about 6 or 7 years now. It is a 8 MOA. My next RMR will have a smaller dot. For USPSA I first used a Vortex Viper on my G17 MOS. I would never recommend a Vortex as a carry dot. I had problems with what ended up being all 3 of mine. Yes, customer service was good, but if the sight doesn't work it doesn't work. I have been using a Leupold Delta Point Pro since then and love it for competition. Too tall and not enough battery life for carry though.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Dot size is going to be personal choice. I have been using a RMR RM02 for about 6 or 7 years now. It is a 8 MOA. My next RMR will have a smaller dot. For USPSA I first used a Vortex Viper on my G17 MOS. I would never recommend a Vortex as a carry dot. I had problems with what ended up being all 3 of mine. Yes, customer service was good, but if the sight doesn't work it doesn't work. I have been using a Leupold Delta Point Pro since then and love it for competition. Too tall and not enough battery life for carry though.
    I agree with the customer service statement, no matter how good the warranty is, if it fails it fails. I put at aimpoint T2 on my ar because from the research I did, it was the best and I have not had any problem with it. I probably should just get the trijicon. Cabelas has the RM06 type 1 for $349 but it is the 6.5 moa, just not sure if I would like the larger dot or not.

I agree with the customer service statement, no matter how good the warranty is, if it fails it fails. I put at aimpoint T2 on my ar because from the research I did, it was the best and I have not had any problem with it. I probably should just get the trijicon. Cabelas has the RM06 type 1 for $349 but it is the 6.5 moa, just not sure if I would like the larger dot or not.
    I thought the 06 was a 3.25 MOA dot. Maybe they have different options for it. That is the one I would get for my next EDC 19.

I thought the 06 was a 3.25 MOA dot. Maybe they have different options for it. That is the one I would get for my next EDC 19.
    Are you saying you would get the 3.25 moa for a EDC 9 ? I rechecked trijicon's website to be sure the RM06 type 2 is 3.25 moa and the RM07 type 2 is 6.5 moa, but the ones that Cabelas have on sale are the older RM06's and all they have left are the 6.5 moa.

Are you saying you would get the 3.25 moa for a EDC 9 ? I rechecked trijicon's website to be sure the RM06 type 2 is 3.25 moa and the RM07 type 2 is 6.5 moa, but the ones that Cabelas have on sale are the older RM06's and all they have left are the 6.5 moa.
    Right now I carry a Glock 19 with a milled slide and RMR 02. It has about 80,000 rounds through it and should probably be retired from everyday carry. I am strongly considering getting a Gen 5 Glock 19 and having the slide milled for the RM06 with the 3.25 dot.

Right now I carry a Glock 19 with a milled slide and RMR 02. It has about 80,000 rounds through it and should probably be retired from everyday carry. I am strongly considering getting a Gen 5 Glock 19 and having the slide milled for the RM06 with the 3.25 dot.
    That sounds like a great set-up. It is just hard to wrap my mind around putting a red dot on a pistol that costs as much or more than the pistol itself, even though I have been carrying a Wilson Combat full size 1911 for the past year.

Site Supporter
    That sounds like a great set-up. It is just hard to wrap my mind around putting a red dot on a pistol that costs as much or more than the pistol itself, even though I have been carrying a Wilson Combat full size 1911 for the past year.
    If there were a cheaper option that were more durable that would be awesome, but as a frame of reference, I'll share my experience.

I had a Vortex Venom mounted on my G17 MOS. It works, holds zero etc...but I dropped it once on a concrete floor and it bent the cheap aluminum housing on the unit. To their credit, Vortex replaced it free of charge and quickly. But if that had been my defensive pistol and I didn't notice it was bent, my zero would have been WAY off. It did have irons from Dawson so I was still able to shoot the gun.

But it's not a durable dot. For playing games at an entry level? Sure. But not to put in your holster. If you get taken down and land on it, drop it or if it takes an impact from a door there's no telling how it'll withstand.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    If there were a cheaper option that were more durable that would be awesome, but as a frame of reference, I'll share my experience.

I had a Vortex Venom mounted on my G17 MOS. It works, holds zero etc...but I dropped it once on a concrete floor and it bent the cheap aluminum housing on the unit. To their credit, Vortex replaced it free of charge and quickly. But if that had been my defensive pistol and I didn't notice it was bent, my zero would have been WAY off. It did have irons from Dawson so I was still able to shoot the gun.

But it's not a durable dot. For playing games at an entry level? Sure. But not to put in your holster. If you get taken down and land on it, drop it or if it takes an impact from a door there's no telling how it'll withstand.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    I appreciate your honesty. Looking more and more like it will be a trijicon probably an RM06 type 2, 3.25 moa. If I would have had this decision a couple months ago when Cabelas had the RM06 type 1 with the 3.25 moa, I would be set. I wish I could look through a 3.25 and a 6.25, but I don't have that option, I will just have to go by others opinions and my own research.

1- RMR vs Venom: the choice would be the RMR as far as a carry role is concerned. They have a more proven track record in a duty/ carry role.

2- 3 vs 6 moa: My personal choice is a 3.25 MOA dot. Reason being is you can bloom a small dot larger, but not make a large dot smaller. What I mean by this is when my RMR is set to be functional with my handheld light or outside lighting it is 2 clicks below max. When doing this the dot ends up larger due to a blooming effect. So, if you have issues picking up the smaller of the two dots, keep in mind it can be made larger. I also just prefer the overall size of the 3.25 MOA in window. Many shooters I have talked to that started with a 6MOA or larger have ended up going to a 3.25MOA or smaller. The smaller dot also lends its self to better precision ability at distance in that it takes up less target area the further away you are from the target.

Hope this helps.

User Tag List