Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with an old Glock.

So this happened after about 40 rounds fired. Relatively new factory new mag.

Name:  g35.2.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  61.8 KB

Site Supporter
    Here is my rationale....

Wayne Dobbs, who is waaaay smarter than me about such things, wrote an excellent piece (not sure where it is but it is posted here) about Glock failing 2/3 of the extractor tasks. The salient one here is the need for the the extractor to retain the extracted shell all the way to the extractor. When it lets go early, the extracted shell tends to bounce off of the top round in the magazine if it is to be ejected clear of the gun. Are your mag springs (new or not) are not pushing the top round up "fast" enough to make this happen? That could induce the inline stove pipe stoppage. The G22 3rd gen guns did this when they had WMLs on them. We had several that did exactly what you are experiencing. That was a combo problem, fast slide/slow mags. Stronger mag springs were part of the multi-part fix for this. I am thinking that it would be worth a try with the Wolf extra power mag springs or the OEM spring with the extra coil. (I will admit to some bias toward Wolf as they are located 5 min from me and make a great product) If the spring change doesn't work, perhaps its time to try the HRED/APEX parts?

Jason
    Last edited by Jason M; 10-05-2017 at 07:15 AM.

Jason, great info. I too am a fan of Wolff. That all sounds reasonable, but if it is springs I wonder what has changed. I wonder if it may be a two fold problem. The extractor does seem to be releasing early, and although it looks fine, it may have worn just enough to start causing problems.

Dave

Site Supporter
    For a 13 year old duty gun, I would change all the springs (particularly the recoil, extractor, slide lock, and trigger springs) and the extractor bearing.

Next I would look at the Ejector. If it says 336 on it I would swap it out for the newer 30274 Ejector.

After that, I would look at the extractor. Is it chipped or damaged ? Does it drop free when you detail strip the slide? If not a LIGHT polish on the top and bottom surfaces of the Extractor may help.

After that, I would try a HRED and / or an Apex extractor.

I have changed the extractor, bearing and the spring as well as the RSA. I did clean and inspect the barrel last night, nothing unusual. I still had a vertical stovepipe with 115 Federal range ammo. That was after 50 rounds of the 147 Gr. T-Series ammo and about 30 rounds of the Federal range ammo. Mag was a brand new Glock. Real shame as it is such an easy gun to shoot at 25 yards. Going to try the HRED/Apex route next.

Thanks guys

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deuce9166 View Post
    I have changed the extractor, bearing and the spring as well as the RSA. I did clean and inspect the barrel last night, nothing unusual. I still had a vertical stovepipe with 115 Federal range ammo. That was after 50 rounds of the 147 Gr. T-Series ammo and about 30 rounds of the Federal range ammo. Mag was a brand new Glock. Real shame as it is such an easy gun to shoot at 25 yards. Going to try the HRED/Apex route next.

Thanks guys
    What is the number on the ejector ?

I set up a gen2 G22 with a KKM 9mm conversion barrel in May, and fired 2,292 rounds of 7 different loads to date. I've used pmag 17s almost exclusively. The conversion mostly worked, with a total of 14 malfunctions. They were occasional failures to eject associated with weaker grips and SHO/WHO shooting, and most often occurred on the last round in the magazine or near thereto. During hand cycling of live and dummy rounds, I noted that the round extracted from the chamber would often slip off the extractor and come to rest on top of the empty magazine. This was seen in live fire occasionally, evidenced by the round falling out of mag well when the magazine was ejected. The gun ran best with the standard .40 extractor (90/5) and ejector (1882). When I installed a 9mm extractor (90/0) and ejector (30274) I had four malfunctions in rapid succession with a load previously reliable. Reinstalling .40 parts restored function. This is the best performance I have seen with a 9mm conversion barrel in a .40 Glock. I've retained the gun and barrel for an extra, recreational shooter. For that purpose, they are acceptable, and a 90% solution to keeping a .40 useful.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Ejector is 1882

PensFan

User Tag List