Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with an old Glock.

Problems with an old Glock.

For the last 13 years I have carried a Gen. 3 Glock 35 as my duty weapon. Although it only has 8,500 rounds through it, the gun has been extremely reliable up to this point. (I have an identical training gun). In the last week it has experienced not only horizontal stove piping but also failure to feed. I switched out the recoil spring hoping it would be an easy fix but no luck. Any input would be great. Thinking of replacing the extractor and extractor spring/bearing etc. But wanted to check here first.

Extractor looks fine. Ejection was always week since I switched to a KKM conversion barrel but have never had any issues. I noticed today that when chamber checking, the live round seems to want to slide down- as if there is no tension from the extractor. I have not checked this with my training gun which has the same barrel.

Gun details:

Glock 35 FVF ser. #
    KKM 9mm conversion barrel (3,000 rounds-no previous issues)
    Zev Trigger spring
    Vickers Slide Stop/mag release
    Factory RSA

Mags: brand new factory and Magpul GL 9 21 rounders.

Ammo: Ranger T-series 147 gr. ( also had one FTF with Federal 115 grain ball)

Any help would be appreciated. I have other glocks with many more rounds through them and quite frankly have been mistreated and have never had an issue like this. This has been my go to gun and I would really like to get it up and running again.

Thanks,
    Dave

My perfectly reliable duty G17 started giving in-line stove pipes like you describe with budget 115gr ammo after about 10k rounds. I had stayed on top of swapping the RSA, but all of the other springs were original. I changed out the extractor spring and bearing, kept the extractor because it was fine visually with no chips, etc. That fixed my problem immediately.

Since that tiny little bit of bent wire is what keeps your slide on the frame during firing, I'd change out the slide lock spring while you are at it.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Will certainly try that, thank you. Forgot to mention when I took the top end apart for inspection, the plastic bearing was partially out of the spring. I assumed it came out when I removed it from the slide.

Chuck, did you only replace the spring?

Quote Originally Posted by deuce9166 View Post
    Will certainly try that, thank you. Forgot to mention when I took the top end apart for inspection, the plastic bearing was partially out of the spring. I assumed it came out when I removed it from the slide.

Chuck, did you only replace the spring?
    Spring and the little plastic bearing
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

When you changed out the barrel did you change the Ejector ,extractor and spring loaded bearing to the 9mm parts?
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Site Supporter
    Change the mag springs too.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    When you changed out the barrel did you change the Ejector ,extractor and spring loaded bearing to the 9mm parts?
    No, guys at KKM said it was not necessary ( I do change those things when I switch out complete slides etc.). The twin to this gun has 18,000+ through it with 8,000 being 9mm. It has broken trigger springs and one Vickers slide stop, but no other issues.
    Last edited by deuce9166; 10-04-2017 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Change the mag springs too.
    One mag was brand new, and the other (Magpul) is also relatively new. My first diagnosis was the MP magazine, but it works very well in two other 34's.

BTW thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Last edited by deuce9166; 10-04-2017 at 08:08 AM.

I cannibalized a spring and bearing from another gen 3 that just sits in the safe. I have a new one on order. Work seems slow I will try and slip out to the range to test it.

Also when you are restesting I would use oem mags to eliminate another variable.

User Tag List