Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Rim fire trainer for your regular pistol

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    I bought a Ruger 22 thinking that it would help me improve my shooting, without breaking my bank. What I found is that I shoot the 22 very well, but when I shoot my 9mms I still pull my shots to the right. (I shoot left-handed.) I guess what I learned from the 22 is that I'm having recoil-control issues.

Randy
    Be sure that, for both the .22 and your 9mm, you grip the gun so that the central axis of the barrel is lined up with the central axis of your forearm when viewed from the top. With this grip established, be sure you engage the trigger halfway between the first joint and the tip of your finger. This should help you pull the trigger straight back as well as ensuring that recoil is straight up.

I have found that .22 translates very well to skill with centerfire calibers. I have not had the same good results trying to transfer airgun skills to powder-propelled pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Given some of the hit or miss reports of reliability, I wonder if:

I already have a Buck Mark, but which isn’t the best choice for practicing drawing from a holster:
    I like Buck Marks. They make them with nice, short, 4-in bull barrels. The SAO manual of arms is pretty close to a 1911 and you can get as target-like a trigger as you want, but I wouldn't think it a good trainer for most modern defensive handguns. If you want to eat a bullseye out of a target, they're good for that. They do need a going-through (check/adjust firing pin length and deburr all moving parts to avoid excess wear or damage) before putting them into service. But then, so do most guns.

I've been enjoying a P250 in .22LR lately. Light, smooth DAO trigger, and uses the same grip frames as the P320. Points pretty much like a Sig for me.

I've so far used my Buck Marks to rationalize not picking up a 617 or 317, but don't know whether that will work forever. They aren't exactly the same.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

2) Simply buying a S&W M&P .22 compact might be the better option, even though I carry Glocks.
    Bill - Did you ever pursue this?

I’m late to this party but am also pondering a rimfire trainer for fun. I also have Glocks and am looking at the M&P .22 as an option.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Bill - Did you ever pursue this?

I’m late to this party but am also pondering a rimfire trainer for fun. I also have Glocks and am looking at the M&P .22 as an option.
    Not yet, but I am likely to do so soon.

Part of my motivation: my 11 year old daughter enjoys going shooting with me, and enjoys shooting .22 pistols and rifles. However, she does NOT enjoy being nearby if I am shooting anything larger than .22, even .38 special or 9mm, and even when she is wearing good quality electronic earmuffs. We shoot outdoors, so this was a bit of a surprise to me, but I don't want something like this to keep her from shooting and improving.

She has been shown drawing from a holster with my SIRT pistol, but is not yet ready to do so with live ammo. When she is, this pistol might fit her hand well.

The less expensive practice is also a plus.

A bit off topic here and I apologize if I've strayed too far. Years ago I worked away from home and only had access to an indoor range where would take my Colt Govt Model .45ACP to practice in the evenings. Nice range, 25yds available, safe and well-run along with a well-stocked retail area. The problem was an approximately 50% recovery rate on my brass which was totally unacceptable to me. I started carrying my Ruger MKII and running 50rds per evening. A workmate got interested and I introduced him to shooting which was a bonus as well. Long story short, when I would come back home, my shooting with the Govt. Model showed marked improvement due to concentrating on the fundamentals during the week. My formerly mentioned workmate and myself would each run 50rds at a bullseye target for bragging rights, he got a small handicap of course. I don't believe that your rimfire trainer has to be a duplicate of your centerfire piece in order to have some value. Of course, having the same platform would be a plus.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith E.; 10-19-2018 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I've been enjoying a P250 in .22LR lately. Light, smooth DAO trigger, and uses the same grip frames as the P320. Points pretty much like a Sig for me.
    Was looking at these on CDNN website recently. Looking forward to additional insights on this one. How’s reliability with bulkpack?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've been working through a 525 bulk pack of Federal HV stuff from probably the middle of 2014. Many rounds (~3.5 percent) are failing to fire in this pistol and in a Buck Mark, even with a good rim strike. Every such round so far has fired when turned and reloaded. I started the P250 on CCI SV, and had no issue with those except for the magazine issue described below, a total of 140 rounds.

Overall, apart from this Federal, I've had one Aguila and one CCI FTF with a good strike, that I can remember with all guns ever. Not a lifetime shooter. I mostly shoot CCI, but have had the occasional stovepipe even with CCI and well-vetted reliable pistols.

Other than those FTFs, there have been only a few issues with the P250. The first time out, I discovered a damaged magazine (out of the box) when a few rounds failed to be picked up by the slide. Sig sent me a replacement, and I was able to recover the damaged magazine as well.

Round #293 had lube on the front of the bullet stick to the front of the magazine and hold the round down, so it failed to be picked up by the slide. I haven't cleaned/polished/waxed the mags or anything.

Current count is at 361 rounds, by my notes, with no further issues. Apart from the excess bullet lube, rounds that didn't go bang when struck, and the magazine issue that was easily resolved and could have easily been detected in advance with better inspection, there have been no functional issues. All other rounds have fed and extracted properly.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 10-20-2018 at 06:13 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

This thread is rekindling my interest in one of the Beretta 92 rimfire conversion kits...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    This thread is rekindling my interest in one of the Beretta 92 rimfire conversion kits...
    Having just got into the 92's I'm on the same boat.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I had a Ciener kit for my 92... liked it, but rather the function like the traditional slide. Unsure if you can do a G conversion, but that would be awesome.

User Tag List