Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rim fire trainer for your regular pistol

Hammertime
    As a data point. I took out the rimfire G19 Glock trainer and ran a couple hundred rounds through it and set my own personal record on the Supertest raising it from 282 to 288. I then followed with shooting a 9mm G34, and duplicated the Supertest PR at 288 on my first run. Results then deteriorated as I shot the 9mm more.

I think there is something to this rimfire thing as far as trigger managment and learning to not flinch the trigger.

Site Supporter
    I posted elsewhere that I'm going to shoot IDPA matches with my Buckmark for a bit (one handed). Didn't see the need to get a Glockish or 1911ish clone as I had the Browning and shot steel with it every once in awhile. It was fun.

As I probably have mentioned before, Bill Rogers says that a .22 allows you to practice steering the sights while pressing the trigger, without recoil to mask imperfections in trigger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Name:  AB993C04-8D86-4671-8236-1BA7FB5EE0A0.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  51.8 KBName:  0A7F0659-ADC1-4C03-9719-9ABCFF50EA02.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  58.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I posted elsewhere that I'm going to shoot IDPA matches with my Buckmark for a bit (one handed). Didn't see the need to get a Glockish or 1911ish clone as I had the Browning and shot steel with it every once in awhile. It was fun.
    Good to hear Glenn, hope you’ll update us w/ your results etc.

I started 2017 using my dad’s ‘89 vintage Buck in steel matches but after discovering that parts for it are unattainable, bought a current gen. Buck & put dad’s back in the safe. Sorry ‘bout the pic angle, UNC on how to correct that.

Bill Rogers’s view that George shared was the driving force behind my decision to use the Buck & it’s certainly helped w/ my own trigger issues etc.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 11-23-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Spent a few range sessions with the 43c lately. It has definitely improved my trigger management & sight alignment on just about everything, including a .308 bolt gun! I'm really doing some of my most accurate and flinch free shooting with a bunch of different guns. Convinced its thanks in large part to a J frame with ball in trough sight... maybe?

Site Supporter
    Don’t forget air pistols. Target ones do not replicate carry guns but they are great for educating your trigger finger. I think the first new revolver I bought was a S&W 17 and a case of .22 lr ammo (5000) rds. My plan was to learn how to shoot a revolver well. A centerfire revolver works well too for dryfire practice. I spent many hours as a teen in a smallbore rifle league. None of that time was wasted. I bought a 43C after I made the mistake of letting my wife tryout my 642 pocket gun. I forgot how nasty airweight smiths are to new shooters
    Last edited by Poconnor; 11-24-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Site Supporter
    I am considering purchasing an Advantage Arms .22 lr conversion for either a Glock 19 or a Glock 26. Can anyone comment on whether either has a reliability advantage over the other?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Funny that this thread should pop up again; I just struck a deal with a P-F stud for a 43c to understudy my growing collection of J-snubs. Makes sense to me; we shall see how it goes. I’m sitting on enough .22lr to make it a fun effort, regardless.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I am considering purchasing an Advantage Arms .22 lr conversion for either a Glock 19 or a Glock 26. Can anyone comment on whether either has a reliability advantage over the other?
    I haven't read too many complaints about them.

OTOH, the AA kit I had for my G19G3 was terribly unreliable using their recommended bulk ammo. I sent it back and they tuned it up, test fired it, and returned it to me. It was still unreliable with bulk ammo. This was during the ammo shortage 10 years ago, so I wasn't about to pay high 9mm prices for .22 Mini-Mags. I sold the kit several years later with full disclosure.

I get the impression that my experience is unusual.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I built a dedicated G19 .22 last year and had no problem with my AA kit as long as I avoided the ammo they advised against. IIRC it was one of the Federal bulk pack offerings. I had some so of course I tried it and nope, it didn't work. It ate Remington and CCI no problem though.

Sold the entire thing after a couple of months when I finally admitted Glocks and I don't get along very well.

So far my AA 1911 kit has eaten everything I've fed it as long as the round was in spec.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List