Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rim fire trainer for your regular pistol

GJM, I'm curious, just to frame this discussion a little better for me, how much dry fire do you usually do in a week vs your live fire schedule?
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    GJM, I'm curious, just to frame this discussion a little better for me, how much dry fire do you usually do in a week vs your live fire schedule?

Barring certain travel, I dry fire in some amount every day. How much, depends in part on how much life firing I am doing. Lately, I've been lucky enough to be able to shoot two or three hours a day, which diminishes my dry fire time.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Barring certain travel, I dry fire in some amount every day. How much, depends in part on how much life firing I am doing. Lately, I've been lucky enough to be able to shoot two or three hours a day, which diminishes my dry fire time.
    Thanks for the response. I was curious to know as I think a heavy dry fire regime, as Taadski suggested, would be of similar in benefit and I was wondering how much of it you did. At the level of participation you are able to put into your training, it seems to me that you are exploring .22lr as a full addition to an already robust program. An evaluation of such an addition, in your situation, is interesting to me as you already incorporate standard methods of training at a very high volume. I'm interest to see where it takes you.

For my own situation, I would be looking at a .22lr trainer as a way to mitigate ammo expense. I am not at your level of participation, and ammo costs are a concern in the sense that I don't want to do without other things in my life because of my pistol training. .22lr would give me more range time.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 10-07-2017 at 08:16 AM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Just a quick drive by post b/c I thought someone mentioned the AA kits being vaporware. Streichers appears to have them in stock currently.

https://www.streichers.com/advantage...kit-for-glocks

Site Supporter
    There's also several AA kits on ebay.

Tangential, but I have been a small .22 guy since I was a kid, having learned first on a bearcat and a single six. Later guns included beretta 21s, and walther/manuhrin .22 ppks and a TPH (that *may* be the winner for top gun sale regret, out of a reasonably extensive list across 30+years). I still have 2 original 90’s recall replacement Taurus PT-22s that would be amazing if the quality wasn’t so taurine.

All of which is to say that my secret wish list includes a Glock 42 somehow re-engineered into a .22 long rifle rimfire. I’d buy 2 of them (one the first day they came out, and one two years later when they work) and shoot them loose. A 10-shot .22 LR G4x would be the mermaid’s tits.

Could those Advantage arms kits be tuned to run cheaper ammo? I have a ton of the Federal auto match.

It has been my experience that rimfire guns like the anmo they like without any rhyme or reason as to why. I've found CCI SS 40 grain lead HPs to run most reliably out of the majority of my .22s, but I do have a couple guns that don't like it. The only frustration (except for having to jam mags with tiny bullets) is that I cannot buy just one brand/load of ammunition to run in all of the guns.

Ammunition is a critical component to reliability in rimfires........ and it takes some time and effort to get it sorted out, and some notes to remind me which gun runs with which load.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

My ruger mark III SS target has the volquartsen internals. 2.25 trigger pull. I can shoot it all day, I'm mounting a Vortex Venom on it today or tomorrow.
    Unfortunately it is so different from my M&P performance Center 9L that if I shoot 100 rounds through my Mark III and immediately jump to my 9L
    I am all over the place for the first 30 or so rounds. I actually shoot much worse, the Mark III is Stainless steel and quite a bit
    heftier than the M&P and has such a light trigger pull that it causes me to "yank" my first few shots with it.
    I've found I actually have to dry fire it for a few minutes first otherwise I waste a bunch of rounds down range
    re acclimating to the difference in overall feel.
    I say it every time I shoot my Mark III...."I wish I could shoot my 9 as well as I shoot this thing". It's
    made me ponder lightening the trigger on my M&P (currently right at 5 lb pull) down a pound or 2 since I only plan on using it for competition
    Last edited by kmanick; 10-08-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    It has been my experience that rimfire guns like the anmo they like without any rhyme or reason as to why. I've found CCI SS 40 grain lead HPs to run most reliably out of the majority of my .22s, but I do have a couple guns that don't like it. The only frustration (except for having to jam mags with tiny bullets) is that I cannot buy just one brand/load of ammunition to run in all of the guns.

Ammunition is a critical component to reliability in rimfires........ and it takes some time and effort to get it sorted out, and some notes to remind me which gun runs with which load.
    What he said.

I have mixed feelings on the importance of reliability in the .22. I obviously prefer it, but I value economy and cleanliness as much, since this is training and not carry. Bill Rogers runs CCI AR Tactical, and said it is the most reliable ammo in their school pistols, they use in the Basic class, although it is more expensive than some other loads.

A friend was telling me at the Gunsite Alumni shoot yesterday, how she killed six 4-5 foot long rattlers on her front porch in Phoenix this summer with a single .22 snake shot to their head. I asked if that didn't alarm the neighbors in that nice neighborhood, and she said when she hears a shot in the simmer there, it is inevitably someone dispatching a rattler.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List