Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rim fire trainer for your regular pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    In the dark past, when I hadnt shot or carried the 1911 in a while, Id shoot a brick or two of 22s through the conversion unit and be fairly well up to speed again compared to not shooting as much. It was also the days when I loaded everything on a single stage press, so shooting that much 45 at a time wasnt likely. Dont know the ratios, but Ive always shot far more 22 than anything else for general practice and fun. It used to be cheap to shoot 22s a lot. Not quite so much now, but still better, and no time spent at the reloading bench.
    Remembered that I got a phone call and posted that before I was quite finished.

I agree the rimfires are a help, they fill a useful niche between dry fire and live fire with centerfire work, besides just being a lot of fun, which also helps keep one interested and shooting more. If I had unlimited free centerfire ammo, Id still shoot rimfire quite a lot. If one hasnt tried them, Id suggest borrowing one for a while and see how it goes for them. It may not suit everyone, but if one hasnt tried them, they may be missing a useful tool.

Big fan of rimfire training guns. For those who don't know, .22LR is by far my favorite caliber of firearm, and I own lots of them. Even though most rimfire guns (like the M&P .22 pistol) don't truly replicate their center fire big brother(s), they are worth having around as training tools.

When I was stuck in California, I shot the piss out of my AR rimfire of the day. Even when I had the Very Happy Ammo perk/cheat code when I taught tactical shooting to the East Coast SEAL Teams, I still expended a ton of .22 ammo in my training regimen.

I also enjoy plinking around with the .22's, and between rimfire guns for fucking off, the .22 Machinegun, and the numerous training .22's, I was buying .22 ammo by the tens of thousands at a time. If I could only have two guns, I'd have a 5.56 AR, and a M&P15/22 copy of the same.

Since I've dumped most of my centerfire pistols except Glock's, and 1911's, I suppose I should get off my ass and build out a Glock .22....... guess I found use for the 80% frame I was gifted. Anyone done an 80% Glock build wanna help?
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

What’s the trigger like on a Glock conversion? I would assume the striker spring is heavier?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    What’s the trigger like on a Glock conversion? I would assume the striker spring is heavier?
    It's been almost a year since I sold my Glock stuff.

I used stock Glock springs in the centerfire assemblies. I owned a few AA and Tac Sol .22 slides.

Trigger was not noticeably heavier but the .22 trigger break was stacked more at end of travel but broke crisper than stock centerfire.

I preferred the Tac Sol for heavier slide and magazines. Some of the internal components are pinned and looked like a PITA to detail strip. IIRC the Tac Sol featured standard Glock sight swap, not sure about AA. Both had their issues from time to time and the Tac Sol behaved best with Mini-mags.

I like the purpose-built .22s much better.

I found the trigger with my AA conversion, on a Gen 4 17 with a TTI connector, to be much lighter than with the factory centerfire upper (which had a Wolff 5lb striker spring and Apex FPB). The AA slide does accept standard Glock sights.

For Glock I have a Tac-Sol conversion unit on a G22 lower for a dedicated .22lr Glock as well as a higher end airsoft Glock replica. Both have been helpful and fun. The airsoft is great because I don't have to go to the range, I can shoot it at home.

Looking to get a Beretta M9A1-22 and an airsoft pistol to compliment my 9mm's.

I am a huge rimfire guy. I wish I could get something that approximated my shield in .22. I’ve thought about getting one of the smaller .22 like an SR22 or the like for something close but never have. I shot dot torture with my competition .22 damn near cleared it with a 49 at 5 yards (threw one with my left hand) I usually shoot a 47+ with my duty and carry gun but I shoot it at 3 yards ( left hand is my weakness). I may have to look a little harder into those smaller .22

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grouse870 View Post
    I am a huge rimfire guy. I wish I could get something that approximated my shield in .22. I’ve thought about getting one of the smaller .22 like an SR22 or the like for something close but never have. I shot dot torture with my competition .22 damn near cleared it with a 49 at 5 yards (threw one with my left hand) I usually shoot a 47+ with my duty and carry gun but I shoot it at 3 yards ( left hand is my weakness). I may have to look a little harder into those smaller .22
    M&P22 Compact?

Back when I used to shoot competitively at least once a week I had a 9 and 45 1911 built identically. I practiced up for a big Steel Challenge match with the 9mm and broke the extractor right before the match.

No worries, I'll use my identical 45.

I brought enough ammo to cover 200 misses and I ran out of ammo well before the match was over.

I've never touched another sub-caliber trainer and won't.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Back when I used to shoot competitively at least once a week I had a 9 and 45 1911 built identically. I practiced up for a big Steel Challenge match with the 9mm and broke the extractor right before the match.

No worries, I'll use my identical 45.

I brought enough ammo to cover 200 misses and I ran out of ammo well before the match was over.

I've never touched another sub-caliber trainer and won't.
    I think I see the problem. You needed a spare extractor..
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List