Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rim fire trainer for your regular pistol

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    So I take it that current Advantage Arms conversions are good-to-go ? I have one for a G20sf 10mm frame that I've had for awhile. I'd like to pick up one for a G19 now. Thanks
    Mine doesn't work with the bulk pack stuff...but the quality .22 ammo cycles it just fine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

In the dark past, when I hadnt shot or carried the 1911 in a while, Id shoot a brick or two of 22s through the conversion unit and be fairly well up to speed again compared to not shooting as much. It was also the days when I loaded everything on a single stage press, so shooting that much 45 at a time wasnt likely. Dont know the ratios, but Ive always shot far more 22 than anything else for general practice and fun. It used to be cheap to shoot 22s a lot. Not quite so much now, but still better, and no time spent at the reloading bench.

While I'm reasonably well set as regards .22LR semiautomatic pistol options for mimicing centerfire semiauto training, I've not so far found much by way of currently-available .22LR DA revolvers which have trigger actions close to those of quality centerfire DA revolvers; all seem to have harder, "stacky" trigger pulls.

I'm sure the current Smith 617 & maybe some of the older Colts (like the Diamondback) would be good choices, but I'm looking for something a bit less pricey.

Anyone have experience with a good current DA .22LR revolver that he can recommend as a trainer for centerfire DA revolvers?
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Anybody have a favorite online vendor to buy the Advantage Arms conversion unit from ? I thought I got my G20 unit from Midway but that was a few years ago and I don't recall for sure. They don't carry them now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    I've not so far found much by way of currently-available .22LR DA revolvers which have trigger actions close to those of quality centerfire DA revolvers; all seem to have harder, "stacky" trigger pulls.

I'm sure the current Smith 617 & maybe some of the older Colts (like the Diamondback) would be good choices, but I'm looking for something a bit less pricey.

Anyone have experience with a good current DA .22LR revolver that he can recommend as a trainer for centerfire DA revolvers?
    Problem is, it takes a harder blow to fire a rimfire than a centerfire. So the mainspring is going to be stiffer anyhow, which shows in a harder pull and contributes to stacking.
    Your best bet would be to haunt the stores, shows, and sale sites for a sound but maybe not pretty K22.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 10-04-2017 at 01:36 PM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I'd love to get on for my 17.3 but some of those conversions are close to 500 dollars. AA conversions are virtually non-existent at the moment. I wish glock would do a .22.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    This! I love working back and forth between a SIRT and AA G17 to really dial things in. When we jump to center fire they're shocked that they can hit things with ease.

I haven't worked with a 22 as much as I should but accuracy and the like were very good with it. Now that ammo prices have been down and I've got some 22 accumulated I may rethink this.
    Indeed. The dual lasers on the SIRT make for a very helpful diagnostic tool for me.

I'm nobody special, and have no great skills. I just coach a few new shooters every now and then, and have found these tools to be helpful in that effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Problem is, it takes a harder blow to fire a rimfire than a centerfire. So the mainspring is going to be stiffer anyhow, which shows in a harder pull and contributes to stacking.
    Your best bet would be to haunt the stores, shows, and sale sites for a sound but maybe not pretty K22.
    Agree with the conclusion, but I believe in the K frame guns, the mainsprings are the same, so they should be similar trigger pull feel. The J frame Smith 22s never had as good of a trigger pull as a K frame.

No experience on the current Ruger DA 22s to compare. Ive only done S&W DA 22s, and one Colt Diamondback in the era that they were shooter grade guns. Think I sold mine for about $225 in the mid 80s. I think the Smith K-22s had better trigger pulls.

Factory K22 and K38 springs are the same, but you can't mess with the .22 like you can a centerfire.
    Not that I feel a need to, my .22 Combat Masterpiece is just fine.

I also briefly owned a Diamondback and saw no reason to stick with it.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    My father started me on a Crossman .22 pellet pistol at age 12. At 14 he handed me a Hi Standard .22 revolver. At 15 he gave me a Hi Standard .22 target pistol. At 16 he gave me a pristine Walther P38. I'll be 70 soon. I had instruction along the way and "burned up" barrels and ammo with these handguns. My level of marksmanship is directly tied to a pellet pistol, .22 l.r. handguns, and a WW2 service pistol.

User Tag List