Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rim fire trainer for your regular pistol

I found the .22 top end for my P226 very useful for everything except recoil control. Now that I'm becoming a Beretta guy......

I've thought about getting a dedicated G19 lower and slapping an AA .22LR upper on it to have something I can shoot .22LR with. I may have to look into doing this sooner rather than later.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I found the .22 top end for my P226 very useful for everything except recoil control. Now that I'm becoming a Beretta guy......
    I was shooting a bunch of Bill drills with the .22 PPQ, and when I went back to the 9mm, after the second shot, I realized that I needed to grip harder and that happened immediately. What I did notice, was how great my trigger control was with the PPQ 9 on Bill drills, after an afternoon with the .22.

I think the lack of recoil is precisely what makes the .22 so valuable, as recoil can mask trigger imperfections that are laid bare with the .22. Having a .22 equivalent that feels so similar may become a consideration for me going forward.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think the lack of recoil is precisely what makes the .22 so valuable, as recoil can mask trigger imperfections that are laid bare with the .22.
    Can't the same can be said for dry fire vs. .22 too.

I’ve long been a fan of .22 as a teaching and training tool. And having a .22 version of your carry, duty or match pistol, so much the better. For a long time, it was a notable consideration when looking at a pistol as part of a complete ’system’ for me. These days, maybe not as much though.

The last 3 or 4 years, I’ve moved away from using the .22 kits as extensively. Mostly because I don’t find it does much for the dedicated user that can’t be accomplished with dry fire. And at the same time it has a bunch of convenience and cost drawbacks (ie- it’s costs *some* money and can’t be done in my living room. )

I certainly won’t be selling my kits, and I still use them occasionally, but I get a lot more bang for my buck convenience, time, and training benefit-wise out of a dedicated dry fire session. And If I’m going to spend the time and effort getting my stands and steel and props loaded up and down to the range, I’m likely going to spend that time shooting my centerfire training ammunition, that's all.

Just my 2 cents at this particular juncture.

And because discussions without pitchers are difficult for my caffeine addled mind sometimes, here is a photo of the .22 next to my dedicated dry fire pistol.

Not aimed at you personally, but as a general observation, it is really easy to kid yourself as to your trigger control when dry firing.

My PPQ .22 times are spot on my PPQ 9mm times on most drills, excepting things like Bill drills where the .22 is a touch faster for me. The .22 really seemed to help the last few days, but only time will tell as to whether it holds my interest longer term.

I like the idea of a rimfire trainer... but shy of the CZ Kadet kit, I really don’t see too many that are reliable enough for my liking. Had a Ciener kit for my Beretta, and almost bought one for my P228... but too many horror stories kept the money in my wallet.

The CZ kit, was definitely a good buy.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Not aimed at you personally, but as a general observation, it is really easy to kid yourself as to your trigger control when dry firing.
    Yes.

I think there are many elements that we can kid ourselves with in dry fire and live fire both. I think that in order to make either profitable, its keenly important to be paying attention. I think dry fire is such a powerful tool because, as you noted above in reference to the .22, there isn't the distraction (or as much of one) to stand in the way of our seeing the manifestations of our errors. The *attention* to these details (visually especially) is what allows us to self coach and not rely exclusively on the hole in the target or the ding of the steel to know we're doing things correctly.

I know you already know the above, but figured I'd post it anyway since you're pretending not to like dry fire this week. I DO think .22 is a nice middle ground between dry fire and full caliber live fire though.
    Last edited by taadski; 10-03-2017 at 07:30 PM.

When I catch myself getting snatchy with the trigger I break out the 22/45 for awhile. My trigger control improves and I also feel like my ability to track the sights under recoil improves.

One of these days I'm going to shoot a steel challenge match with a 22.

I want GJM to put 100k rounds though his PPQ 22. If it holds up I'll buy one [emoji57] On that note, are magazines available for them now? Seems like they were hard to find for awhile.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    When I catch myself getting snatchy with the trigger I break out the 22/45 for awhile. My trigger control improves and I also feel like my ability to track the sights under recoil improves.

One of these days I'm going to shoot a steel challenge match with a 22.

I want GJM to put 100k rounds though his PPQ 22. If it holds up I'll buy one [emoji57] On that note, are magazines available for them now? Seems like they were hard to find for awhile.
    Mags seem available, although the five inch model with a fiber front seems scarce now. I am at about 1,000 rounds, and so far, so good. 100,000 hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have had a Gen3 G19 frame with an Advantage Arms .22 slide for some time. When I added a can to it, it became my favorite teaching gun.

Same trigger press and sights as a G19, but barely any recoil. I found that the Federal and CCI subsonics would cycle the action, but not the S&B ones.

Starting a new shooter with that, and just wearing eye pro works very well.

And it's mucho, mucho fun for all.

So I take it that current Advantage Arms conversions are good-to-go ? I have one for a G20sf 10mm frame that I've had for awhile. I'd like to pick up one for a G19 now. Thanks

User Tag List