Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Rim fire trainer for your regular pistol

Site Supporter
    I shot the TX matches with a Browning Buckmark for grins. It had a fiber optic sight and was easy and accurate. I'm short a 22 semi now and torn between a trainer and another Buckmark. I have all the gear for the Buckmark - try to find a left handed holster and mag pouches. I did. Use it for steel.

I might just get another Buckmark. One lesson, don't take it completely apart - Oy!

It's a good idea for the shooting sports to allow 22s, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    It's a good idea for the shooting sports to allow 22s, IMHO.
    Steel Challenge with a .22 is a great way to get someone started in the shooting sports.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I might just get another Buckmark. One lesson, don't take it completely apart - Oy!
    I now do that with all of them before they ever see range time. Have seen too many uglies inside not to. But I do like them when they are cleaned up. I can't say I've had any trouble getting one back together.

The newest ones apparently no longer have the hole in the left side of the frame that allows you to drive the trigger bar pin out of the trigger (necessary to remove the trigger). Can only guess whether that was to save 4.7 seconds of machine time or to prevent people from messing with the trigger. Motivated people drill their own hole. The improvement that results from shimming the lateral play out of the trigger is notable. I can't report a difference in scores, but it certainly feels a lot more consistent when it no longer flops around, rather just swings front to rear. And there is a slight reduction of friction, which is never a bad thing. It is probably possible to shim the trigger without driving out the trigger bar pin, but you wouldn't get to deburr and smooth the trigger pocket in the frame to get the full result.

Some people would say I have too many Buck Marks, but in a year of selling guns, I haven't considered thinning that particular herd for more than a minute or two.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

.22s are great for training. I even use an almost stock Mark IV 22/45 Lite to practice instead of my Volquartsen Black Mamba. I've had a S&W 617 to enhance my shooting with centerfire revolvers. The .22 is easier to handle and costs a lot less to feed. Whatever you are trying to learn it takes about 5000 rounds to ingrain it into your memory. Mixing 22s with your more powerful gun really helps in this regard.

Jeff Cooper said "You can learn about 80% of what you need to know with a .22."

My normal practice session is 60-70% rimfire.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List