Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 81

Thread: Rim fire trainer for your regular pistol

  1. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Southwest Pennsylvania

    Rim fire trainer for your regular pistol

    Given some of the hit or miss reports of reliability, I wonder if:

    1) A different conversion kit might be better, or,

    2) Simply buying a S&W M&P .22 compact might be the better option, even though I carry Glocks.

    I already have a Buck Mark, which my daughter uses when she comes shooting with me, but which isnít the best choice for practicing drawing from a holster:



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 10-10-2018 at 07:15 AM.

  2. #72
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    In the desert, looking for water.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Given some of the hit or miss reports of reliability, I wonder if:

    1) A different conversion kit might be better, or,

    2) Simply buying a S&W M&P .22 compact might be the better option, even though I carry Glocks.

    I already have a Buck Mark, which my daughter uses when she comes shooting with me, but which isnít the best choice for practicing drawing from a holster:



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or a PPQ .22? I wonder about them. I messed around with one at a shop, and really liked it. I have a Ruger MKII, so I am not actually hurting for a .22 semiauto, but I wonder about the lightweight options, and something more similar to the gun I actually carry.

  3. #73
    I just came across this thread and want to add that my CO2 BB 92A1 performs a similar function for me as the .22s being discussed. And I can shoot in the basement.

  4. #74
    Low speed, high drag awp_101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    DFW
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I just came across this thread and want to add that my CO2 BB 92A1 performs a similar function for me as the .22s being discussed. And I can shoot in the basement.
    Which one do you have? I need something else to add to my Christmas wish list!
    The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect. - Carl von Clausewitz

    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

  5. #75
    I have this one
    https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beret...BB_Pistol/3659
    I bought one of the other models first and it was terrible. It was an 8 shot gun w/ a tiny little plastic cylinder that you loaded pellets into. This one works just like a real 92. The entire slide moves when it fires, it locks back on an empty mag, the safety/decocker, mag release button, all work normally. The CO2 and 18 BBs fit into the magazine so it is quite close in weight to a loaded real magazine. After getting lube into everything, the trigger is actually really good. The BBs are also a lot quicker to load than pellets. I shoot at 20 feet at 3 inch dots stuck on a cardboard box from HD. Both the heavy duty version, a small one inside a medium. When it gets too chewed up I just rotate to another side. My biggest challenge is the draw and that first shot in DA so that is what I practice. BTW, if you have a smart phone, down load an app called "Splits" for a really useful timer. It will even work for dry firing w/ a real 92.

  6. #76
    Low speed, high drag awp_101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    DFW
    Thanks, I'll check the 92 and timer app out!
    The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect. - Carl von Clausewitz

    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

  7. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Chinle, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    As I probably have mentioned before, Bill Rogers says that a .22 allows you to practice steering the sights while pressing the trigger, without recoil to mask imperfections in trigger.
    GJM, where you using a S&W 317 for this very type of training? How would you compare the S&W K or J frame 22lr to a 22lr conversion of the same design as your competition/carry gun? Any idea how the Rogers school S&W 22lr are set up?

    I have a TSG 19/22 conversion I have rebuild 2 or 3 times and probably put 15-20k rounds through it. It works best with CCI MM or CCI Tac. It has never been +90% reliable but it has allowed a LOT of extra trigger time in the past. I find it especially useful for non-freestyle types of shooting like shooting from retention, shooting on the move, shooting at almost contact distance, SHO/WHO, grounded/guard, from vehicle, etc.

  8. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by strow View Post
    GJM, where you using a S&W 317 for this very type of training? How would you compare the S&W K or J frame 22lr to a 22lr conversion of the same design as your competition/carry gun? Any idea how the Rogers school S&W 22lr are set up?

    I have a TSG 19/22 conversion I have rebuild 2 or 3 times and probably put 15-20k rounds through it. It works best with CCI MM or CCI Tac. It has never been +90% reliable but it has allowed a LOT of extra trigger time in the past. I find it especially useful for non-freestyle types of shooting like shooting from retention, shooting on the move, shooting at almost contact distance, SHO/WHO, grounded/guard, from vehicle, etc.
    I was using a 317 as a light gun and relatively heavy trigger came me maximum practice steering the sights while working the trigger.

    I believe the Rogers School went to Ruger LCR revolvers in .22.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

  9. #79
    Member randyflycaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Missoula, MT

    Didn't seem to help me.

    I bought a Ruger 22 thinking that it would help me improve my shooting, without breaking my bank. What I found is that I shoot the 22 very well, but when I shoot my 9mms I still pull my shots to the right. (I shoot left-handed.) I guess what I learned from the 22 is that I'm having recoil-control issues.

    Randy

  10. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    I bought a Ruger 22 thinking that it would help me improve my shooting, without breaking my bank. What I found is that I shoot the 22 very well, but when I shoot my 9mms I still pull my shots to the right. (I shoot left-handed.) I guess what I learned from the 22 is that I'm having recoil-control issues.

    Randy
    Maybe isolating the trigger issues. Try the 50/50 drill, where you load the chamber only of your 9, fire one live shot then immediately fire one dry fire shot. Repeat as necessary.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TLG 1970–2016 RIPRampageForTheCure.org