Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rim fire trainer for your regular pistol

Rim fire trainer for your regular pistol

A few days ago, I went to get a .22 pistol to attach a suppressor to. Looking at several different models, I saw a PPQ .22, the Tactical model (meaning threaded). It felt very close to my 9mm PPQ models, and was reasonably priced, so I bought it. Once home, I realized it fit perfectly in my Blade Tech OWB and JM George appendix holsters.

Got to the range with it this morning, and got it zeroed -- a process made easier by the adjustable rear sight. By the day's end, I have shot 700 rounds through it at steel, Garcia dot drills, Bill drills and accelerators. It was so much fun, that it was hard to stop. Afterwards, I grabbed my 9mm PPQ pistols, and other than realizing I needed to grip them harder, all that work with the .22 was extremely helpful. I then remembered Bill Rogers telling me that after instructing his Beginner class, that involved multiple days of .22 shooting, the next week he would shoot his best scores in his Int/Adv class. He went on to tell me that he would have the Int/Adv class shoot .22, as it is so helpful, but that many Advanced egos would not pay to,go to a class to shoot a .22. When you take the concussion of the centerfire out of the equation, there is nothing to mask trigger imperfections.

I am looking forward to many thousands of rounds of PPQ .22 practice over coming days and weeks.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Also a stellar choice for varmints, kids and first timer shooters, especially if the next step is the 9mm PPQ.

My favorite squirrel gun is a Ruger .22/.45 with a red dot and suppressor. Nice and accurate, but unfortunately for training purposes, it bears NO resemblance to my normal carry gun.

I have had a Gen3 G19 frame with an Advantage Arms .22 slide for some time. When I added a can to it, it became my favorite teaching gun.

Same trigger press and sights as a G19, but barely any recoil. I found that the Federal and CCI subsonics would cycle the action, but not the S&B ones.

Starting a new shooter with that, and just wearing eye pro works very well.

And it's mucho, mucho fun for all.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have had a Gen3 G19 frame with an Advantage Arms .22 slide for some time. When I added a can to it, it became my favorite teaching gun.
    This! I love working back and forth between a SIRT and AA G17 to really dial things in. When we jump to center fire they're shocked that they can hit things with ease.

I haven't worked with a 22 as much as I should but accuracy and the like were very good with it. Now that ammo prices have been down and I've got some 22 accumulated I may rethink this.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

For the next month, I am going to add a bunch of PPQ rimfire to the program, and evaluate how much it helps.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Reading Ben Stoeger's training journal on Brian Enos forum, he was a big fan of a 22lr conversion for his Beretta's early on in his journal. I think he's since abandoned it, but I've been considering it as a viable option to cheaply increase my training volume next season.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Jeff Cooper said: "You can learn about 80% of what you need to know with a .22."

I would hate to be without my Colt ACE gun and CZ Kadet conversion.

I have avoided rapid fire with them, figuring it would give me funny ideas about recoil control. I shoot them mostly on the draw and in one shot per target transitions.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I do most of my training (well over ninety percent) with .22 pistols, revolvers, and rifles. Not only does the lack of recoil show all of the flaws in my technique, the quiet report makes for less fatigue. I use everything from Ruger Standard-pattern pistols to a S&W M617 revolver.

Not to mention, .22 shooting is fun. Shooting Dot Torture with a .22 at ever increasing distances is both fun and challenging and it translates to better performance with the P30. I have learned a lot about my draw and first shot (how bad it is) on Dots 2, 3, and 4 with my ten-shot M617.

I've been waiting on some cash to grab a pair of P-07's and then remembered that these were available.

Might be useful on the get go for sure.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List