Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lefever 16 - should I cut it

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Looks great! If you find yourself in the southern part of the state sometime, come shoot clay birds some Saturday morning in Mont Vernon for $4/25 shots. Be a great workout for the chopped fudd gun.
    Thanks! Mont Vernon is only a few towns over from here. ;-)

Mr. Fudd Goes to the Range

I can't remember the last time I fired this gun but I think it was at least 30 years ago, so firing it again today was a bit nostalgic. Since Mr. Fudd's new role is home defense I set up B27 targets at five and ten yards. Inside my house the longest shot I could take is around 30 feet, but more likely a shorter down-the-staircase distance.

The load used was Federal's F164 1B, which is loaded with twelve #1 buckshot pellets at 1325 FPS. At five paces all 12 pellets clustered within a three inch circle at the POA;

Stepping back to ten paces the shot remained well centered at about six to seven inches of spread;

Finally some of Federal's F164 RS rifled slug loads (4/5 ounce, 1600 FPS) at 25 yards, which impacted about 2-1/2" to the right of the POA and about 1-3/4" apart (one shot from each barrel). We shot a few left-right barrel combos like this and the POI and grouping remained consistent;

Overall, a good outing - the gun functioned perfectly and hit POA with the buckshot loads. The slugs add a bit of range, solid hits at 25 yards very doable. The HiViz FO sight is very bright and quick to pick up even on the overcast day. So for a travel companion that fits easily in a travel duffel, old Mr. Fudd seems quite capable, and seems a pretty classy fellow too!

Way to jump in with both feet; looks good.

I really need a coach gun.

User Tag List