Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Death Jam with 92A1 and WWB: gun locked up. Opnions wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    No force. Your first move is to run the slide, which hopefully dumps the problem on the deck and loads a new round. You can push on it, and maybe it moves forward a bit. It doesn't lock....and now it doesn't open either. You want that on your hands?
    For range shooting/plinking, I always push softly on the slide or forward assist... if it goes in, it fires; if it doesn't, never had a problem with a stuck case.

Not the best move for defensive scenarios, being dependant of your soft touch, I know.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Is there something about the long-extractor SIGs that make them more likely to have issues with poor ammo than other guns with similar extractor designs? I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was causing all the FTExtracts on my M11A1, yours is the best explanation I've heard so far but the FTEs happened with a variety of ammo, same stuff I had put through a long extractor P226 with no issue.
    Inspection of the brass (I keep all the FTE cases and a selection of others, including other brands that run well) makes it unequivocal in my mind what is happening and how. The evidence draws its own picture for you. I've been able to make a definite improvement by tuning the tip of the extractor a bit, but haven't cured it. I've only had one FTE that wasn't with WWB, and that was with Blazer Brass, after tuning the extractor, so I was pretty disappointed to have that happen. My best guess as to why some long extractors have issues and some don't seem to is a tolerance stack with the slide. There's also a timing component, so if the P226 slide moves more slowly than the M11-A1 slide, that may contribute. I haven't completed my study of the issue yet. There are some geometric factors I have hypothesized and intend to explore, comparisons with other pistols, etc. Ultimately, I'm confident that making a custom-dimension extractor just for this pistol can make it as reliable as any other pistol. Not anything Sig will do, or anything someone who isn't an OCD engineer would be expected to do for themselves. When I feel like I have my hands around it completely, I'll probably make a thread about it. Don't really want to derail this one any more.

Back on topic: My study of WWB brass has convinced me it's not possible to design a pistol so robust to geometric defects that Winchester will never ship a case that can stop it.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 10-06-2017 at 08:18 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Thanks all for the continued input. I guess WWB is having a rough go of it.

Update: I ran approximately 135 rounds of Federal through it at a match today and there were no issues. That makes well over 400 round since the last issue. So I'm thinking this is confidently concluded to be ammo.

User Tag List