Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WML vs HHL; How to use a light

WML vs HHL; How to use a light

I've reviewed a few threads on WMLs, but none of them touch on what I'm looking for, which is a basic premise or thought process on using these lights. I currently run the Surefire XC-1 on my G19, and I have a INFORCE APL on my back up G19. I'm considering the INFORCE APLc Glock for both my guns, but I would like to get input on the use of these lights vs the HHL. I carry both the WML and a Surefire BACKUP, and would use either/both depending on the circumstances at hand. That said, I'm not a LEO or special operator, so I don't necessarily believe I need to try to be. Would just like to get some insight from those who have experience and/or who have given this some serious thought as to how to employ these tools in given situations.

Site Supporter
    This might not answer all your questions but it's a pretty good article:

http://pistol-training.com/articles/...ght-essentials

Hmmmm... If your just looking around for stuff (searching) use your handheld. If at some point you need to go loud, draw your pistol and turn on the WML as soon as you can, the question at that point is what to do with your handheld...I'm personally cool with just dropping it if I need to. It's really going to depend on the situation. Some sort of handheld to WML transition may be possible allowing you to stow your handheld? Use the support hand (I always carry my handheld in my support hand when searching at work) to turn on the WML then turn off the handheld and stow it. You would never loose visual and only potentially be in a one handed shooting position for a short time? I'm pretty sure I've done this a few times to cover someone and it's worked out...high lumen WML's are good for thoes types of encounters because the spill of the light allows you to see your subject without being fully punched out on them (kind of a low ready position).

I've had tracks where I've switched between 3-4 lights and back in a matter of minutes depending on what was going on...it can be a juggling act sometimes and that's not even throwing a NVG or Thermal into the mix. Your situation will really determine your tactics. Shooting two handed with a WML is the most ideal but being able to shoot one handed with a flashlight is a necessary tool to have in the tool bag. There are a ton of techniques for that, find one you like and get good with it (a sort of neck / cheek index works best for me...yrmv).
    Last edited by TCB; 09-29-2017 at 03:40 PM.

I hang an "O" ring on my handheld lights. Loop the ring around your offhand index finger.

Name:  gladius.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  75.0 KB

If I had to pick only one variety of light, it would be the handheld as it can be operated independently of the firearm.

The only circumstance I believe I would ever need a light is in a movie theater though. True darkness doesn't exist these days in most places.

Paging Marshal Haggard.
    Last edited by NETim; 09-29-2017 at 04:49 PM.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    I hang an "O" ring on my handheld lights. Loop the ring around your offhand index finger.
    I do the same with a DIY finger lanyard;

I keep an Inforce APL on my G17, which is rarely carried but serves as my primary home defense arm (I do have a JMCK OWB holster for it). Otherwise my EDC pistol is sans a WML but carry the Malkoff pictured above.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 09-29-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Site Supporter
    Since I am neither law enforcement nor military, if I have a reason to search something outside of my home, I am using a handheld light with my gun holstered and concealed. If my gun is coming out, it is because a threat has already been identified.

Outside, I hold the light away from my body. Inside, any reasonable light will light up everything in the room, so there is no way to avoid being visible. I just use a neck index. Coming around a corner, I might go low and hold the light high, or vice versa. This is where the Z series lights really shine.

The key to any 2 hand light technique is to use only light pressure with the support hand. Light pressure will help stabilize the gun, but more will throw off your usual 2- hand shooting technique more than it will help.

I see much more usefulness for a weapon mounted light on a home defense gun. Depending on where I am searching and who is likely to be there, I might use only the spill of the light to avoid pointing a gun at a family member. If I know my family is all safely behind me, then I would point the like cut and gun right where I am searching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

being limited often to one hand I am trying to include a wml to my carry setup. A weapon mounted light can be an effective fighting tool if used correctly. Used the wrong way (searching the parking lot because you heard a bump) it can bite you in the ass. Everything is a trade off and I enjoy the option of carrying a hand held and a wml.

Let me ask about a third light option.....

After I picked one up inexpensively, I like to keep a head mounted light in my vehicle. Anyone done anything with these?

I have a couple Petzl headband lights I use occasionally. They are good for when you are moving overland in rough terrain and aren’t worried about being seen. I use them regularly for wrighting up field reports, EMT calls and tunnel work. They can be really handy. When working at night I usually have 4-5 different illumination devices on me (WML on my M-4 & Pistol, a dual level 15/320 & a 1000 lumen handheld, and usually something that clips to my hat or a headband light). I’m pretty rough on gear and all my lights are Surefires (except the Petzl headlamps)...I’ve had no issues with any of them other than snapping one of the switches off of a helmet light (SF sent me a brand new one (then I lost it after getting kicked in the head one night)).

Off the clock I always carry a small AAA Streamlight, like someone said above, there are very few places that are totally dark and that seems to work pretty good for me. My CCW doesn’t have a WML on it, I don’t like any of the small WML’s that are available. When someone cracks that nut I’ll grab one. I’ll occasionally carry my duty blaster with a X300U on it in an Armadillo holster, it works pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    After I picked one up inexpensively, I like to keep a head mounted light in my vehicle. Anyone done anything with these?
    Since a light could also serve as a bullet magnet, mounting one on my head would be the last place I'd want it. IMO, using the head-mounted light for self defensive purposes has too many serious drawbacks.

Unlike a general purpose light, using an EDC light dedicated to self defensive purposes should be fast and intuitive. For example I practice drawing from my pocket and getting light on-target as quickly as I can draw my EDC pistol and get it on target. I also practice manipulations which includes flipping it to the back of my hand (for when I need both hands free), getting a proper grip to transition into a two-hand hold with a pistol, etc.

IMO any civilian who practices CCW should also EDC a light dedicated to SD purposes and practice with it just as they would with their EDC handgun. I cannot envision how a head-mounted light would be practical for that and as such is IMO best left for strictly utilitarian purposes.

User Tag List