Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Browning MK 3 DBM

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Someone just paid $116 each shipped for three new 20 round mags.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876867030

ETA - Was that you, George?
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 08-21-2020 at 05:39 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Shooting the MK3 this morning was pretty routine, in a good way. I have 3 of the 10-rd mags so I zeroed at 50 and ran 30 rounds of NATO ball through the gun. No hiccups, mags drop right out, but take a little attention to insert properly. Recoil is pretty mild, but I’m not recoil-sensitive. As I mentioned previously, the LOP is too long and the mag and bolt releases are too far forward, but this rifle was not designed for speed. Re-zeroed at 100 and shot groups: From largest to smallest groups:
    Remington 150 Core-Lokt
    Federal 130 OTM
    Hornady 155 TAP
    Nosler 150 E-TIP
    Barnes 168 TTSX
    Federal 168 Berger Hybrid
    Doofus alert: Take all of this with a grain of salt. All shooting today was done with a Steiner 1-4; I had a 10X scope, but forgot the wrench to switch the scopes. I’ll reshoot for group size, but what I saw today was interesting. Couple years ago, I spent some time with a Benelli R1; it liked 150’s the best and the Remington in particular. Even so, it never shot great, maybe 1.5”. The Browning does not like the Remington load, over 2”, but both the 168’s shot under an inch. Since the Barnes is my hunting load, I’m happy. Not a bad trigger, but a bit of creep; we’ll see how it shoots in. I might pull the trigger pack and see if it’s amenable to a gentle cleanup.

There used to be a guy who was active doing FNAR triggers, but a few years ago, he stopped taking in that work. I never did find a place where he explained why he stopped in detail. Don't know whether production on the guns changed or he figured out something that had been there all along.

ETA: It was Mark at http://www.shortactioncustoms.com/. I sent him an email to confirm/deny it.

The trigger on my FNAR is not awesome. Most of my other CF rifles are Tikka, Howa and Geissele triggers, though.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 08-24-2020 at 09:51 PM.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

ETA - Was that you, George?
    Not me.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

ETA: It was Mark at http://www.shortactioncustoms.com/. I sent him an email to confirm/deny it.
    Received response:

Unfortunately, we are not offering any FNAR work and we have not for a few years now. I'm not sure who is doing work on them anymore, so I don't really know if there is anything we can do to help.
    Not another dime.

The follow-on auction just closed at $631 shipped for three magazines. Pretty sure I could make two of the 10s into a workable 20 for that that kinda money.
    Not another dime.

I just bought three at Wholesale Hunter for $69 each.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That is about what I saw on the shelf, at the local gun emporium.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    10 round or 20 round? The key is 20s, as it seems Browning isn’t selling them and they were discontinued by FN several years ago.

ETA: Wholesale Hunter has three separate listings for the FN 20-round part, all are on "backorder." They list the current Browning p/n at $69.xx. A quick check of gun.deals shows online pricing for the Browning 10-rounder at $60 or a little below at lots of places.

Annoyingly, some distributor's database got a photo of the standard, non-DBM BAR magazine associated with the DBM UPC, so you'll get the wrong photo almost everywhere. Situations like this are why I always go by part number, not the picture.

@Rex G, if Collector’s has the 20s, please LMK so I can jump in the truck!
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 08-29-2020 at 09:10 AM.
    Not another dime.

10 round or 20 round? The key is 20s, as it seems Browning isn’t selling them and they were discontinued by FN several years ago.

ETA: Wholesale Hunter has three separate listings for the FN 20-round part, all are on "backorder." They list the current Browning p/n at $69.xx. A quick check of gun.deals shows online pricing for the Browning 10-rounder at $60 or a little below at lots of places.

Annoyingly, some distributor's database got a photo of the standard, non-DBM BAR magazine associated with the DBM UPC, so you'll get the wrong photo almost everywhere. Situations like this are why I always go by part number, not the picture.

@Rex G, if Collector’s has the 20s, please LMK so I can jump in the truck!
    I did not look to see if 10 or 20. There was one on the shelf. Might want to get on the phone.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List