Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Browning MK 3 DBM

After reading all of this, the desire for a decent M1 Garand has reawakened. The rifle my father carried during the Cold War; must have, someday...

(He just missed the Korean War.)

While it is not an autoloader, the Browning BLR can be had in .308, and has detachable box magazines. For those who dream of extended, higher-capacity BLR magazines, well, the lever would hit an extended magazine. A 'smith or skilled machinist could probably extend a BLR magazine, by a small amount, that would just leave clearance for the lever. The newest generation of BLR, extant since at least the mid-Nineties, have magazines that drop free.

Looks to me like one could add another three rounds of .308 to the length.

I've heard rumors of a conversion to the .223 version that will accept an AR 30 rounder but I have yet to see such a creature in the wild.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Henry Repeating Arms has introduced their new lever rifle,"Long Ranger",in 223/5.56,.243 and .308 both with and without sights.

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    Henry Repeating Arms has introduced their new lever rifle,"Long Ranger",in 223/5.56,.243 and .308 both with and without sights.
    I've yet to see any objective, long term based reviews on these yet.

I have a spare magazine for my BLR, I ran across a used one for less than half of what new ones go for. That will suit my purposes for now.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Weird little things you notice.

The bolt catch lever on the FNAR has the same little tab on it that’s on Buck Mark controls. Saw a BAR DBM on a magazine cover at B&N today, and they changed it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

SteveB and I each bought a BAR DBM .308 today.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by RONK View Post
    The "Long Ranger" is also available in 6.5CM, but I have yet to find/read any long-term reviews of such an animal. Durable? Can anyone cite any data on this?

Cheers, y'all!

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    SteveB and I each bought a BAR DBM .308 today.
    Earlier this summer, I handled the BAR DBM and the Benelli R1 back to back at the LGS, both in .308. Surprised to see them under one roof at the same time, actually. It was interesting.

The R1 was definitely sleeker, more svelte feeling. With a lower-capacity mag, will carry much more like a standard hunting rifle. A little like a pregnant guppy with the 10-rounder (and that's all you get), but still could carry with a hand under the mag, assuming it balances there. Would be much nicer in the woods, I think.

The Browning (FNAR with non-EBR furniture) has the big, blocky, and HEAVY mags. Will never pass for "dad's deer rifle" with a mag in it. But you can also get 20-rounders. Would serve better as an AR-10 alternative for that reason, if capacity restrictions did not apply.

Kinda like they are different tools for different purposes...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Looking forward to hearing from both of you on this rifle.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    Looking forward to hearing from both of you on this rifle.
    Steve and I are calling them the “BDR.”
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List