Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any one have good info about modern production M1 Carbine clones?

Any one have good info about modern production M1 Carbine clones?

If one wanted to get ahold of an M1 Carbine as a reliable utility short range long gun in the current social situation, who currently makes a decent candidate?
    Or is this more a case of finding a rebuilt WW II or Korean example and laying in an extra set of every possible spring, extractor, etc?

I can see fitting one with a red dot on one of the several upper handguard replacement mounts as Chris at Lucky Gunner has done.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

The only ones I'd consider are those made by Fulton Armory. The rest are varying degrees of suck. None of them are cheap, so I think you're better served with a GI sample.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I have long thought about doing the same thing but at this point in the game I really wonder what you gain by modernizing an M1 carbine versus going with the plethora of PCCs now available? 10 years ago this idea had a lot of merit for those living in ban states, now not so much.

Site Supporter
    What, exactly, is pushing you toward an M1 Carbine? Is this a fun gun with the additional justification of a 'just in case' long gun, or is this truly intended to be a decent working long gun that doesn't look 'tactical'?

For the former case, 100% just bite the bullet and buy a nice GI gun. Spending a little more than you want to for a nice example is a ton better than searching for 'a deal' only to find out you bought a turd.

For the latter case, I'd gravitate more toward a Mini-14 or something like that if an AR was undesirable for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I have long thought about doing the same thing but at this point in the game I really wonder what you gain by modernizing an M1 carbine versus going with the plethora of PCCs now available? 10 years ago this idea had a lot of merit for those living in ban states, now not so much.
    I have a GI carbine for the collection. While it's great fun to shoot and has good ballistic performance with modern ammo, its reliability falls short of what we consider acceptable today. It wouldn't be at the front of my list.

Name:  165595462.1B9BI3M2.DSCN2171.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  19.2 KB
    Last edited by Trooper224; 03-02-2023 at 03:47 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    What, exactly, is pushing you toward an M1 Carbine? Is this a fun gun with the additional justification of a 'just in case' long gun, or is this truly intended to be a decent working long gun that doesn't look 'tactical'?

For the former case, 100% just bite the bullet and buy a nice GI gun. Spending a little more than you want to for a nice example is a ton better than searching for 'a deal' only to find out you bought a turd.

For the latter case, I'd gravitate more toward a Mini-14 or something like that if an AR was undesirable for whatever reason.
    I'm in the same boat. The M1 Carbine would be a nice collector piece but for something that is a shooter/defense role, I'm leaning toward a Ruger PC carbine. 9mm ammo is far more plentiful than 30 Carbine.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I have a 43 Inland that I rebuilt. Nice shooter. More for the USGI collection than anything. I have a Mini-14 for Taliban/Russians.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post

It's more a case of the former than latter. For the latter, I can see your point. Right now an AR holds the position for me, but I will note that the current MN legislature is pushing legislation that will make it all but impossible to own *any* semi automatic firearm at all, so the whole question might be moot. (The future's uncertain and the end is always near.)

Thanks to all for the responses so far!
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Ken Hackathorn has some interesting insights into the M1 Carbine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF0qH_zvfdU

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    It's more a case of the former than latter. For the latter, I can see your point. Right now an AR holds the position for me, but I will note that the current MN legislature is pushing legislation that will make it all but impossible to own *any* semi automatic firearm at all, so the whole question might be moot. (The future's uncertain and the end is always near.)

Thanks to all for the responses so far!
    I got caught up in that type of legislation here. >10 mags are illegal to buy or sell here now. I still have some but all were purchased legally years ago. I'm lucky I can still own those legally. Also a weapons ban in our legislature this spring, so everything semi-auto is heading south real soon. I expect to still be able to own what I have but this is a very draconian state to live in if you own firearms. I just live with it and try to keep up.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List