Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Browning MK 3 DBM

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    For some reason, the "BDR" reminds me of Frank Hamer and the Remington 8.

https://www.facebook.com/11992877135...2761498876361/
    'Zactly what I was thinking.

Unfortunately, in Washington State, it's still an "assault rifle" so if I want to go that route I still have to jump through all the hoops I would have to jump through for an AR10.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    'Zactly what I was thinking.

Unfortunately, in Washington State, it's still an "assault rifle" so if I want to go that route I still have to jump through all the hoops I would have to jump through for an AR10.
    I thought it was supposed to be 50 state legal according to Browning, what in Washington state would make this an assault rifle?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Any semi-automatic rifle became an assault rifle in WA, per the 2016 ballot measure brought to you by three households of billionaires. Yes, a hundred-year-old .22LR is included in that.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

(26) "Semiautomatic assault rifle" means any rifle which utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round, and which requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge.
    "Semiautomatic assault rifle" does not include antique firearms, any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable, or any firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action.

https://apps.leg.wa.gov/Rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.010

I did not know Washington state was worse then CA or NY.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I thought it was supposed to be 50 state legal according to Browning, what in Washington state would make this an assault rifle?
    It is "legal" in the sense that you can go buy one, hence it is not "banned" in Washington State.

Under Initiative 1639 a "semi-automatic assault rifle" is defined as:

"Semiautomatic assault rifle" means any rifle which
    utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract
    the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round, and which
    requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge.
    "Semiautomatic assault rifle" does not include antique firearms,
    any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable, or any
    firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide
    action."

So yes Virginia, your .22 Marlin Model 60 with the tube magazine is a "semi-automatic assault rifle" in Washington.

So it's legal to possess and transfer in Washington, but with all the additional "enhanced background check," waiting period, training requirements etc.

I see no restrictions on you traveling here from out of state with one.

Yet.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Well, if BAR is a legal problem, there is the BLR. Browning Left-Coast Rifle.

E.T.A.: I actually really like the BLR, having Lightning and TakeDown versions, both .308 Winchester.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

The rifle arrived today, and I am pleasantly surprised. The LOP is too long, and while it doesn’t look like that will be an easy fix, it’s not that big a deal on a semi-auto. The bolt release and mag releases are too far forward, but I can deal with that. The mags are steel and weigh just under 1/2 lb each. The 18” medium barrel is fluted with a recessed crown. Trigger breaks at 3 1/2 lbs. Picatinny scope mounts are integral to the receiver; I was able to mount a 1-4X24 in low rings. Recessed sling swivel cups are in the bottom of the buttstock and the front of the fore end. There’s a stud for a bipod, or, maybe a light. This rifle’s shotgun heritage is evident in both the bolt/charging handle arrangement and the stock. It comes with 6 shims to adjust cast and drop; the neutral shim is installed. The barrel is not free-floated, and it is not immediately apparent how to get the barreled action out of the stock. The trigger group is retained with solid pins. Overall, it handles well; shooting report to follow.

Name:  9FB485F5-35E6-4115-A6E3-EDD3464882D4.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  25.0 KB

Name:  4F5FE69B-1EFC-44E0-BACB-08C2EF81E83B.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  21.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    The barrel is not free-floated, and it is not immediately apparent how to get the barreled action out of the stock. The trigger group is retained with solid pins. Overall, it handles well; shooting report to follow.
    I drove down to @Rex G's favorite LGS and checked out their poly-stocked rifle after work tonight.

I noticed there's a socket head cap screw in the bottom of the swivel cup at the front of the forend. I imagine it's related to holding the forend onto the action. The butt stock should be covered in the owner's manual, as the drop & cast adjusting shims are included.

What is the spacing of the Picatinny rail section? i.e., how far is it from the forward-most notch of the front section to the corresponding forward-most notch of the rear section? I'm looking at what scope I would want to mount on it. Trouble is brewing.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 08-19-2020 at 09:11 PM.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I drove down to @Rex G's favorite LGS and checked out their poly-stocked rifle after work tonight.

I noticed there's a socket head cap screw in the bottom of the swivel cup at the front of the forend. I imagine it's related to holding the forend onto the action. The butt stock should be covered in the owner's manual, as the drop & cast adjusting shims are included.

What is the spacing of the Picatinny rail section? i.e., how far is it from the forward-most notch of the front section to the corresponding forward-most notch of the rear section? I'm looking at what scope I would want to mount on it. Trouble is brewing.
    OJ, thanks for that tip; I see the Allen screw you mention, and will pull the thing apart soon. As far as the pic rail goes, the measurement you’re asking about is 4 3/4”.

Did some searching for reviews tonight.

Found a lot of people saying their BARs in .308 liked factory ammo in the 150gr range, often the cheaper stuff. Fusion and Winchester frequently gave good results. A frequent scenario was trying a bunch of different factory loads with mediocre results before finding one that would wake up and be awesome. Almost like a .22.

One thing to be aware of is that the extended pressure curve of Superformance ammo could cause things to get weird with this gas gun.

https://press.hornady.com/assets/sit...n-gas-guns.pdf

The Hornady materials have changed. Several years ago, they recommended against using Superformance in rifles with gas systems below a certain length. Now they just recommend an adjustable gas block, which is fairly useless information with this "not an AR" rifle. I remember the BAR was marginal when I looked into it then. I have seen a report of a BAR action being damaged, apparently by ammo selection. It was attributed to bullet weight, but Superformance loads may have been an issue.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 08-20-2020 at 11:53 PM.
    Not another dime.

User Tag List