Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Browning MK 3 DBM

Browning MK 3 DBM

Has anyone here tried this new Browning, http://www.browning.com/products/fir...-magazine.html.

Might make a good scout/practical/ranch rifle with a lpv scope.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    That appears to be basically an FNAR with non-scary furniture and an 18" barrel. The DBM model also has the interesting feature of Pic rail sections integrated into the receiver top, providing the lowest possible rail height and correct geometry.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Interesting, along with the R1. LOP seems long.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Interesting, indeed. I agree that the LOP seems long, but that's true of most rifles out there. If it is a BAR action, I don't think there are any working parts in the stock that would keep it from being cut down.

I like the weight.

I wonder if that is a proprietary magazine? From the looks of it, I think it is.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

FNAR mags are very heavy due to being all steel with a thick base plate and cost about $50 each. Generally regarded as reliable and available as 20-, 10- and 5-round (which is a blocked 10), all priced about the same. Do protrude out the bottom. Not meant to be disassembled, but some people press out the pins and replace them with bolts.

http://www.browning.com/content/dam/...b.835.835.jpeg

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/21...er-steel-matte

I think it was somewhere in the Scout rifle thread, @Dagga Boy mentioned trying to make the FNAR work as an AWB-compatible option and gave up. I'd be interested to hear him expound on the reasons why.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 09-29-2017 at 05:49 PM.
    Not another dime.

I'd be interested in his thoughts as well.

Wikipedia says the action is kin to the BAR action (the sporting arm, not the one my grandfather used in the Pacific to great effect). I've messed with the BAR a little, and while it's a nice "box or two of ammo every hunting season" type of gun, it's not a "go to a weekend class and burn down a case of ammo" type of gun.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Not DB, but I had an early FNAR, before the light barrel came out. Good trigger and real accurate, but a terribly awkward stock and too heavy. LOP like a skeet gun.

Right. The FNAR is basically a BAR ShortTrac tuned up for increased durability under a heavier firing schedule, perhaps a little more accuracy, and the DBM adapted. My guess is that the "MkIII" BAR is basically incorporating whatever those improvements are under the Browning label.

Regarding the FNAR, the butt stock and fore end from a BAR Stalker bolt right on, eliminating the pistol grip, so it will no longer magically transform into a dangerous weapon when it crosses the California border. Some actually think it's a lighter, slimmer, better-handling and more attractive rifle with the conventional butt stock. You can swap out fore ends pretty easily, depending on whether you want the Pic rails. It may be possible to adapt wood furniture to make it even more Fudd-friendly.

The FNAR's pistol grip butt stock comes with a couple different Monte Carlo inserts to support using your choice of tactical Hubbles on the Pic rail, which is itself notably taller than it needs to be. There are often issues with the Pic rail's attachment. Screws might be goofy, might not have full thread engagement, the rail may have twist in it, etc. The BAR Stalker butt stock is more conventional, so you'll want to mount a scope lower. Weaver or Pic rails for a BAR hunting rifle match the curvature of the top of the FNAR receiver, but the hole spacing is different, so basic machining is necessary to adapt them. Having the ultra-low Pic features built into the receiver on this MkIII DBM is pretty awesome.

There is a shop called Short Action Customs that was doing trigger jobs on FNARs, but at some point, the trigger parts changed and are no longer suitable for that work, from what I have read. Presumably, that would apply to these new MkIII actions, too. SAC has scrubbed most FNAR references from its web site, last I checked. They do work on Howa, Sako and Tikka actions, in addition to the standard Rem700 stuff.

The main criticisms I'm aware of for use of the FNAR in a "serious" role is that, as noted in the previous post, it isn't meant to stand up to the firing schedule of an AR, as might happen if it goes through serious training. It's presented as more of a designated marksman solution for civilian LE use than a battle weapon. FN recommends returning it to them for inspection and service every 1000 rounds, which is obviously unrealistic for many people. It's not as easy to break down for detail cleaning as an AR, but probably isn't much more difficult than many other semi-auto rifles and shotguns. I haven't had one apart, but suspect the general chatter about the difficulty may be kinda like Glock people bouncing off a Beretta 92 or Sig when they see all those parts.

There seems to be a consensus on FN forums that you're wasting time and money shooting for groups with any factory ammo that isn't Federal GMM. Haven't seen too many load workups.

Anyway, that summarizes most of what I think I know about it. Some is first-hand tested, a lot is just compiling too many hours spent reading. I don't have the experience of DB, obviously, and am hoping he comes along and lays down some knowledge.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 09-29-2017 at 09:17 PM.
    Not another dime.

So, is this one or the Benelli R1 better in the practical rifle niche?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Pure speculation, but based on the reputation of the Benelli shotguns in 3-gun service, I'd lean toward the Italian stuff. You can probably dig up some history on how the FNAR Competition has worked for people who tried it.

https://fnamerica.com/products/rifles/fnar-competition/

You should set up an R1 for competition, play in a heavy class with it this winter, and tell us all about it.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 09-29-2017 at 09:28 PM.
    Not another dime.

User Tag List