Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Canceled - We'll Go Insane ?

Football is either fun for you or it's not. Further analyses of fans are typically bitching of some manner or dietary in nature.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

I know people find it boring but this is why I enjoy racing. I can drive an hour and go to Road America, grab breakfast there, walk my dog around their parks and trails, enjoy great cars, walk around the paddock and pit lanes, get a big barbecue lunch, and top it all off with a run around the karting facility all for maybe $80-$100 bucks total at a major Grand Prix. All without crowds, drunks, and assholes (everyone will just seem glad to be there and happy to see some great passing). They even play anthems without politics, have prayers for safety, and I carry a gun on me the whole time (sure they prohibit them but no track I'm aware of gives a crap enough to frisk you, and in WI the law basically says who the hell cares anyway).

Every time I've ever sat in an NFL stadium it's been me crammed in with drunk screaming pieces of shit while I enjoy my lame ass $8 hamburger. I feel terrible when there's children around it, for all the BS the Packers spew about it being a family environment it sure as hell isn't.

It's a shame, because the core game is deep and entertaining. The surrounding product just blows.
    Last edited by Peally; 09-28-2017 at 11:02 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

What's football?

Seriously the last game I watched and enjoyed was a Blue vs. Grey all-star game back in the late 70s or early 80s. Maybe that's because I was young and with my dad.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Tangentially, a story: in the immediate aftermath of the economic crash of 2008, state-supported universities were losing their minds, as they went from as much as 70 percent state funded, to as little as 40 percent seemingly overnight. Tuition skyrocketed; colleges were merged; much scrambling ensued. Even to this day, there is bitter infighting and contention as to how to handle huge budget deficits, as departments and colleges fight internally over scraps, while administration bloats with glorified marketing positions and tenured faculty lines decline to half of what they were 10 years ago (seriously, as in 14 tenured faculty down to 7, with the difference being made up by temps in their late 20's with fresh-minted terminal degrees, and untried and wholly immature teaching skills). The only winners were private universities, who saw an enrollment bubble due to the gap between "state" and "private" narrowing to within as little as 5-8k per year difference after average financial aid was figured into the previously lopsided equation. Against this backdrop, Western WA U—who never had much of a football program anyways—responded to the calls for slashing 20 percent off the top university-wide with this:

Jan. 8, 2009

BELLINGHAM - Western Washington University officials announced today that its football program is ending, following a careful evaluation to determine how best to ensure the excellence of all University intercollegiate sports.

"I have made this decision with a heavy heart as I am well aware of the profound consequences it has on the student-athletes on the football team, their dedicated and hard-working coaches, and on our passionate supporters on campus, in the community and region and on our alumni," said Western President Bruce Shepard.

Not one other program was cut. Not one tenured prof was laid off (at least, over the state budget). Word on the street (ivory) was, they covered all but 2 percent of the shortfall with one stroke of the pen. By shitcanning the pigskin, and getting back to arts and smarts, they ended up poaching many of the best and brightest from their sister institutions. They are currently experiencing an enrollment explosion, at least in the area I am most familiar with.

Biggest academic shake up since WWII, and they sidestepped it all with the simple act of jettisoning the foorball program. Amazing, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Tangentially, a story: in the immediate aftermath of the economic crash of 2008, state-supported universities were losing their minds, as they went from as much as 70 percent state funded, to as little as 40 percent seemingly overnight. Tuition skyrocketed; colleges were merged; much scrambling ensued. Even to this day, there is bitter infighting and contention as to how to handle huge budget deficits, as departments and colleges fight internally over scraps, while administration bloats with glorified marketing positions and tenured faculty lines decline to half of what they were 10 years ago (seriously, as in 14 tenured faculty down to 7, with the difference being made up by temps in their late 20's with fresh-minted terminal degrees, and untried and wholly immature teaching skills). The only winners were private universities, who saw an enrollment bubble due to the gap between "state" and "private" narrowing to within as little as 5-8k per year difference after average financial aid was figured into the previously lopsided equation. Against this backdrop, Western WA U—who never had much of a football program anyways—responded to the calls for slashing 20 percent off the top university-wide with this:

Jan. 8, 2009

BELLINGHAM - Western Washington University officials announced today that its football program is ending, following a careful evaluation to determine how best to ensure the excellence of all University intercollegiate sports.

"I have made this decision with a heavy heart as I am well aware of the profound consequences it has on the student-athletes on the football team, their dedicated and hard-working coaches, and on our passionate supporters on campus, in the community and region and on our alumni," said Western President Bruce Shepard.

Not one other program was cut. Not one tenured prof was laid off (at least, over the state budget). Word on the street (ivory) was, they covered all but 2 percent of the shortfall with one stroke of the pen. By shitcanning the pigskin, and getting back to arts and smarts, they ended up poaching many of the best and brightest from their sister institutions. They are currently experiencing an enrollment explosion, at least in the area I am most familiar with.

Biggest academic shake up since WWII, and they sidestepped it all with the simple act of jettisoning the foorball program. Amazing, really.

I think there's a catch to that though... Western Washington University is a DII school and wasn't putting people into the NFL. Hell, Western PA is a "football area" and we can't even see most DII games on TV. Schools with top 25 teams would likely have a different result.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

@Sidheshooter - one of my nieces actually plays for the WWU women's collegiate soccer team. They were NCAA Champions in their division last year and are good enough to play with any team in the nation. I'll very gladly cheer her.

On the other hand, the school is full of hardcore leftists. But that's a whole other topic. Thankfully, she has a strong family upbringing so ignores that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Banned
    I have little interest in television and less in football. It's entirely possible I wouldn't even notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Please do not post the full text of copyrighted works. Summarize and post a link. Thanks!
    Sorry, my mistake, Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I think there's a catch to that though... Western Washington University is a DII school and wasn't putting people into the NFL. Hell, Western PA is a "football area" and we can't even see most DII games on TV. Schools with top 25 teams would likely have a different result.
    Oh for sure. As noted, WWU never had much of a football program, relatively speaking. Still and all, it talks to how expensive those programs are. One cut and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Oh for sure. As noted, WWU never had much of a football program, relatively speaking. Still and all, it talks to how expensive those programs are. One cut and done.
    I know it's been said that at PSU the football team funds ALL of the other sports and activities for all campuses. That's a lot of badminton and hacky sack league.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Could be. I'm no expert on this stuff nationally, because I could care less. I only know what I've been told about Western because there was *a lot* of talk about it. Plus, they've been seemingly immune to the same chaos and cuts as the other state Us here, for whatever reason.

User Tag List