Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Competition Costs.

I'd become very familiar with the works of Steve Anderson and Ben Stoeger. Both have free podcasts.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I'm trying to get an idea of the cost per year of participating and doing well at it.

Thanks so far for the contributions. Could folks here also post the rough cost of shooting in terms of ammo per year,both shot at matches and what's fired in practice sessions?
    To do well you'll probably need to fire 25,000 rounds a year. That's 400 rounds per week in practice plus 100 rounds every weekend at matches if you shoot year round. The best shooters shoot more.

You'll need a Dillon 1050 at $1800 plus a Mr Bulletfeeder at $500. A while back I figured the cost to load 1000 rounds was $120 not counting brass cost. I buy once fired brass every so often and I can get some free range pickup brass. So that would be around $3000 in ammo costs. 25000 rounds of factory ammo would cost around $5000.

Then it would depend how many matches you shoot per year and how many are local or big matches. Many of the best shooters only shoot big matches and seldom shoot locals.

Site Supporter
    I bought an IDPA legal holster and mag pouch in ~2009.

Not counting that purchase my yearly expenses are as follows:
    12 matches X $20 match fee = $240.
    2 boxes of 9mm ammo per match x 12 matches = $240.
    IDPA membership for one year = $40

So my approximate yearly cost if I shoot every month is $520, maybe few dollars less if I get a good deal on ammo. Last match I shot Brown Bear that I bought for ~$150 per thousand (+shipping), so I'm on track to come in under $520 this year.

However, the above value neglects the cost of gasoline for driving to and from the match (~40 miles round trip).

I aside from the holster and mag pouch, I don't own any other gear expressly for competition. I usually shoot matches with my carry gun or practice gun.

EDIT: Regarding practice ammo, I'm trying to shoot 100 rounds per week. Every now and then I miss a week, and sometimes I shoot more than that. I figure I'll shoot about 5K rounds this year which will cost a bit over $1,000.
    Last edited by pangloss; 09-25-2017 at 11:04 PM.

"Doing well at it" means different things to different people. Some might define "doing well" as showing measurable improvements over time. Others might have specific, achievable goals such as reaching A class within a certain timeframe. Others might not think they're doing well until they reach GM and/or start winning major matches. Every point in between is probably also represented in someone's viewpoint, and every one represents a different amount of dry and live fire and commensurate time commitment and cost.

Personally, I don't do as well as I'd like to, but my budget and time are both limited - I shoot 3-4K rounds/year, which since my reloading math is similar to Bill's, is $360-480 in ammo yearly. Match fees are $10-15/match for local matches, and $100 for the MN section match. Add in gas and I'm probably still not much over $1K/year, but I suck. (Currently upper middle of C class in Production: ~56.3%.)

You really need to define "doing well" in your context.

That said, you will spend more time than money to "do well" by most definitions.

Less than $500/year for 6-8 local IDPA matches. Wish I could make it to more, but work, family, etc.
    Per match:

$20 ammo (federal aluminum or freedom reman 9mm)

$15-20 match fees, if I don't RO.

$10 snacks, misc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of you guys have it really easy. I just calculated costs for a single local IPSC match (okay, granted, a level 2 one) to be approximately $150 per person. $100 if we choose to shoot 9mm (which I can't do if I want to keep shooting in Classic Division, since I only own .45 1911s). Times two since I would want to shoot the match with my girlfriend, that's one fairly expensive afternoon.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Site Supporter

Wink

I agree with defining your goals in competition. Only for me:

1. Reasonable gun handling and putting holes in the right place with reasonable carry guns and gear. Keep those skills up.
    2. Shoot my EDC primarily - Glock 9s, with significant 1911 time and periodic revolver forays.
    3. Personal improvement as I'm not going to win.
    4. Some practice of skills with my AR

Fun:

1. Friends to talk with.
    2. Shoot something else for grins and practice - steel with a 22 LR Buckmark

Avoid being a gamer and millisecond chaser - my world view. I'm not being a champion. I once came in 2nd after a national revolver champ - wait for it - as only two of us were shooter revolvers that day. Times were different by orders of magnitude although we both did zero some stages (me a half hour later). Haha.

I know by now, we don't consider competitions as ' tactical training' - Lord spare us from this. However, I do enjoy the Short Range match which is designed to be more realistic and carry gun oriented. I don't understand guys who shoot this in their USPSA Buck Rogers set up.

I prefer IDPA as it is more relaxed. Not to much running (not for me anymore). Steel is even more relaxing. Stand there - 22 LR - bink, bink with a Buckmark and a fiber optic front sight.

A busy shooting month, I can get two six stage IDPA Tier 1 matches, a 5 stage IDPA-ish outlaw match, a 4 stage USPSA-ish outlaw match, and a 4 stage police league match, plus weekly live fire practice. That is about 800 rounds at $117 a thousand, present component cost. $55 total entry fees. Gas to get there. If in a group, one of the passengers will buy my lunch.
    About $208 maximum monthly operating cost. Health, weather, and schedule conspire to make it less many months out of the year. But I will also have shot two Tier 4 IDPA matches at greater cost.

Capital costs include a $1200+ gun I have been shooting for 13 years.
    Official Team Mediocre concealment vest, $40.
    A $40 Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt.
    Holster and mag carriers free for loaning the Kydex bender a gun he did not have a sample or model to mold over to fill an order.
    Rx shooting glasses, ca $400.
    Full complement of reloading equipment, don't have all the prices at hand, but Dillon 550 and necessary accessories.

Yes, I have other guns and gear I use from time to time, so the actual capital investment is greater, but the above is, as the Cowboy shooters would say, "one set."
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 09-26-2017 at 09:53 AM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
    You really need to define "doing well" in your context.

That said, you will spend more time than money to "do well" by most definitions.
    Very much this. Ben Stoeger (I know, people are all over Ben's nuts, but he knows how to practice) said he won his state IDPA sectional with a 2,000 round case of ammo and a shitload of dry fire.

Practice smarter, not more expensively.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List