Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition Costs.

Competition Costs.

I'm looking for some insights on the real world cost to shoot competition.

Given that,how much does your setup cost per year to run? Include ammo,weapons,holsters,magazines,range expenses and accessories.

Thanks in advance for the responses!
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Need more info.

Around here, local IDPA and USPSA matches are $10 or $20 to shoot. You will shoot anywhere from 50 rounds to 200. You can shoot with your carry gear with maybe needing to add a couple of mag pouches up to expensive race guns costing thousands of dollars.
    Last edited by BN; 09-25-2017 at 12:13 PM. Reason: spelling

+1 to what Bill said. If you plan to shoot with carry gear, the incremental costs would likely be fairly minimal, possibly a few extra mag pouches. Additional costs might depend on whether you already have an annual membership at a range, how much more ammo you would want to use in practice, and costs incurred related to matches themselves (USPSA membership, match fees, driving costs/time, etc).

I'll put it more directly- how much per year does it cost for you to participate in IDPA/USPSA?

I realize this will vary based on category,class,region and so forth. The more context your annual cost figure has in terms of range fees,ammo costs,etc the better.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Not much, I'm a poor bastard and I can afford it.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I would say ammo for me is $1-2k a year, though I don't shoot nearly as much as some other folks. Range fees at my old range were under $350 a year, but likely to go up. I competed locally about once a month. Fees were $30 per match, though I'd try to volunteer with set up which meant I could shoot free. I didn't bother to get classified so didn't pay for an USPSA membership, though if I start competing more I would likely just pay that fee.

At this point, I run my duty rig for Speed Steel and USPSA matches when I can work it out with my work schedule. Fees are 15 dollars after practiscore pre-registration discount. I am fortunate to get enough ammo to not need to purchase my own.

I bought out of pocket my sights (warren tacticals)($100), magpul magwell (30), apex ultimate striker(15ish), extra OEM mag (40), and a Dawson Precision mag extension(30). So i guess around $215 equipment wise. Glock 22 blue label about 470 in my area, rig probably be around 250 bucks, so about 720 if you wanted to buy my set up.

I am running my duty rig, so I'm sure the same amount of money would go a lot farther for purchasing competition oriented gear.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I'll put it more directly- how much per year does it cost for you to participate in IDPA/USPSA?

I realize this will vary based on category,class,region and so forth. The more context your annual cost figure has in terms of range fees,ammo costs,etc the better.
    20 local matches a year, $10/match - $200 match fees
    gas back and forth, 100 miles RT per match, 12mpg, (8 gallons), $20/match x 20 = $400 gas
    ammo, 100 rounds/match, $0.25 per round (9mm), $25/match x 20 = $500 ammo

those are the match direct fees. does not include ammo shot for practice, gas to get to the range for practice, nor costs of the gun and accessories. if you are shooting your carry gun, the only thing you might need extra is a double mag carrier for $50 (or less), and that's a one time cost.

so ongoing costs would be $1100/year.

that helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I'm looking for some insights on the real world cost to shoot competition.

Given that,how much does your setup cost per year to run? Include ammo,weapons,holsters,magazines,range expenses and accessories.

Thanks in advance for the responses!
    It would makes sense to only tally consumables. You OWN the guns gear, holsters and such.

Ammo
    Local travel costs and match fees
    Championship travel costs and match fees

So are you looking for what it costs those who reply? Or are you trying to figure out what it will cost you?

Me... $10,000 give or take to hit 5 Major 3-Gun Championships, get in a little practice and shoot a few local pistol matches.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Site Supporter
    IDPA - $25 a match, two boxes of 50 rounds. I shoot two to three times a month. Sometimes, steel or short range at same price.

Ammo - 9mm, 45 or 223. I buy generic range ammo on sale - WWB, Blazer Al, PMC or whatever. Not into the cheaper foreign brands but Fiocchi is ok.

User Tag List