Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Wind River

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    Had to lightly skim the thread to avoid potential spoilers.

I avoid most current released movies today. Often too much preaching of a left leaning agenda.

Without giving away plot details maybe guys who have seen it can answer a question please. - - It seems highly unlikely that a lone woman agent would be sent to a wild remote area on such a case by herself. Is there a reason for the agent depicted being a woman rather than a man ? (Lots of movies push the 'super warrior woman, girls can do anything a man can do' meme.) If giving details might spoil the ending, just something along 'yes, there's a reason' or 'no, not really' would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Haven't seen the movie yet but here goes:

From a real world perspective - no there is no reason a female agent wouldn't be assigned.
    An agent is an agent doesn't matter male or female. There are female agents who are more or less capable and there are male agents who are more or less capable. It all depends.

From a movie / storyteller perspective female agent is more dramatic

As for a lone agent, in Indian country the FBI genrally provides investigative support with major cases for the BIA police in the same way state investigators like the Texas Rangers will support smaller LEA's in rural areas elsewhere. In many of these areas all LE is spread pretty thin.

Being a detective/ investigator is not like being a patrol officer. While the unexpected certainly happens, you are normally initiating enforcement actions not reacting. You should generally be picking the time, place and circumstances of most arrests to be most favorable to you - think of Craig Douglas and William Aprill's "unequal initiative" applied to criminals instead of by criminals.

That said it is unlikely an agent would be assigned to assist BIA with something like this unless they assigned or at least TDY to the office with jurisdiction. For all LE the smaller the office the more variety of assignments one will be required to handle.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-01-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Warning! May contain a spoiler or two!

As usual, Graham Greene brings his patented acerbic cool to the big screen. The shootout scene was intense. Had a hard time buying into FBI chick's house clearing run just minutes after being pepper sprayed, but maybe she's pretty tough. She did demo a good deal of grit later on in the flick.

And that guy from The Walking Dead just keeps showing up in flicks. (Jon Bernthal)
    Haven't seen the movie but this is why most LE Agencies require officers to get sprayed with OC in the Academy. When we got OC in the 90's the final stage to be certified was getting sprayed and the completing a Force on Force scenario where you had to shoot a knife weilding opponent, call for assistance and hold them at gun point until backup arrived. Let's just say it is definately possible to shoot with one hand while the other physically holds one eye open.

Pepper spray effects people differently. It is more effective on some than others. On some people in effects breathing more while with others it effects the eyes more.

While not idea, it's possible, especially if she got to wash some of the spray out.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Did it say where she was stationed?

ETA I think we posted at same time.
    IIRC, she was at a conference or wedding or some such in Vegas, and was the quickest agent to dispatch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Haven't seen the movie but this is why most LE Agencies require officers to get sprayed with OC in the Academy. When we got OC in the 90's the final stage to be certified was getting sprayed and the completing a Force on Force scenario where you had to shoot a knife weilding opponent, call for assistance and hold them at gun point until backup arrived. Let's just say it is definately possible to shoot with one hand while the other physically holds one eye open.

Pepper spray effects people differently. It is more effective on some than others. On some people in effects breathing more while with others it effects the eyes more.

While not idea, it's possible, especially if she got to wash some of the spray out.
    Saw the movie. The way it's depicted in the film isn't accurate. I was an MP and I'm familiar with what your talking about, but the way it's depicted doesn't line up with reality on this one.

Spoiler. Highlight me.

She get's bear maced from 3-5 feet away directly to the face. She does the funky chicken for about 20-30 seconds, then draws her weapon and goes into a building to room clear. A) bad tactic. B) She isn't holding an eye open, she is using both eyes. A camera angle shows her perspective for a moment with red all around the edges and a small area of clarity in the middle. She wouldn't even be able to open her eyes unless holding them open, and that's with OC not bear mace.. Her face was "oh shit chemical red" all over her eyes just a second before. No way she mag dumps a guy and then does a smooth reload. All with both hands on the pistol

Overall, there were a few flaws with the movie. It's visuals, acting, cast, firearms, weren't among them. Mostly plot holes I thought.

Spoiler. Highlight me.

Why didn't the security guys follow her on a sled? They had them.
    How did her tracks make it through a snow storm so they could locate her body again? I grew up in upstate NY. Callin BS.
    If her tracks are there, why not follow them back to where she came from?
    If a bullet passes through something it generally doesn't throw it around. I'll buy the shotgun hitting a vest giving Lizzy Olsen a throw, but the .45-70 shouldn't have right?
    If the guards are so isolated and bored that they need to gang rape the one guys girlfriend... then how did he get the girlfriend? Not saying this is a hole per se, but I see it as a glaring issue. They just came back from getting drunk, and yet their is nothing to do?
    She got a ride to the place. Who gave her the ride, and why didn't they say "I dropped her off"?

I liked where the key'd up cop noticed he was getting flanked. I pay attention to that stuff when I'm just out doing things. If someone was intentionally moving to my side, or boxing me I would notice it. The fact he never put his pistol away was incredibly telling. Dude knew what the score was and was moving along anyway. "Nobody behind me". Later when he was like "Let's fucking do this" I wanted him to score the hits first so bad.

It should be noted for those interested, that when folks say the movie has reloading in it... they mean both a magazine change, and weighing powder and processing brass. I think that's cool.

Something that hasn't been discussed... The movie is incredibly well done. But, it's also incredibly hard to watch. It's emotional and powerful about pretty awful subject matter. My wife and I went into the theatre expecting a cat-n-mouse killer movie. This ain't that. One may also want to be careful bringing any loved ones with intimate trauma.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 10-02-2017 at 08:16 AM. Reason: trying to hide spoilers better

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    The movie reminded me a little of the TV series, Longmire.
    Ah, the Graham Greene Effect.

I was disappointed in the tactics of the good guys in the scenes leading up to the big shootout, but it was effective at building tension. Then the Guide Gun came into play.

Trying hard not to spoil the flick.

Just go see it.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I thought you would like it. You are one of the people I had in mind when I made this thread.
    I immediately called Jim Brockman to go see it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

While I never had my spray taken away from me by a suspect, which was the commonly used justification for the three full face exposures in training for three different agencies, those experiences were valuable when I was wrestling with a 6'5' 300lb schizophrenic weight lifter. Officer Dunning ran up and dumped a full can of Punch, mostly in my face. About 30 seconds later Officer Kreuger ran up and repeated that performance. That only soaked my back, but did make the suspect more slippery.

As my sergeant was dousing me with water he reminded me a couple of times that it wasn't ok to punch other cops.

Regarding the movie, I'll see it. I have low expectations and occasionally am pleasantly surprised.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 10-02-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    My favorite part was the death face conversation in the backyard.
    It's a depressing and sad movie, but it is one of the best I have seen this year. It is certainly the one that sticks in my mind the most. I would even consider seeing it in the theater again even after knowing the story line. I agree with Schuler; the death face scene was the best part. "Favorite" or "best" may not be the appropriate words for a scene of such tremendous sadness and shared friendship, but I can't think of anything better.

And, not to take away from the "best" scene, this is a great line:

Jane Banner: Shouldn't we wait for back up?

Ben: This isn't the land of waiting for back up. This is the land of you're on your own.

Reminded me of rural West Texas.
    Last edited by Shotgun; 10-02-2017 at 12:16 PM.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    While I never had my spray taken away from me by a suspect, which was the commonly used justification for the three full face exposures in training for three different agencies, those experiences were valuable when I was wrestling with a 6'5' 300lb schizophrenic weight lifter. Officer Dunning ran up and dumped a full can of Punch, mostly in my face. About 30 seconds later Officer Kreuger ran up and repeated that performance. That only soaked my back, but did make the suspect more slippery.

As my sergeant was dousing me with water he reminded me a couple of times that it wasn't ok to punch other cops.

Regarding the movie, I'll see it. I have low expectations and occasionally am pleasantly surprised.
    I've been "over sprayed" once. It happens. It was more of an issue before we switched to a stream delivery.

I went to the theater this afternoon but showed up just a few minutes too late and there was a line. Rather than risk missing the first couple minutes of movie I went to DQ and got a blizzard and I'll go back tonight. I need something to take my mind off this shit day.

User Tag List