Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Movie Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    They were guarding against kill joys who don’t understand movies are entertainment and sometimes use improbable pretexts to move stories along.
    I'm more willing to suspend disbelief when it doesn't coincide with a political agenda. Strip away the guns and Wind River is typical left-wing Hollywood fare criticizing rural lifestyles and calling for bigger government.

The villains could just as easily have been truck drivers, mechanics, or (statistically the most likely) fellow Native Americans. But they were gun-toting blue collar workers in the mineral extraction business. And the solution is apparently for the admittedly ill-prepared FBI to double-down enforcement on reservations?
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 05-21-2019 at 01:03 AM.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    We watched this tonight. Pretty ok movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    It was, but lots of rigs are on reservations. The tribes lease the rights to the oil companies in exchange for a percentage -- they wouldn't want to mess with that gravy-train (aside from sometimes requiring a certain percentage of oil workers be hired from that tribe).
    I wasn’t implying expectation of trouble from the indigenous people. Just to be clear.

I was thinking more along the lines of valuable stuff, low local LE resources, possibly wanting a group to keep roughnecks mostly in line, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Otaku.edc View Post
    A film with its own thread?

Had to check it out.

A fine film.
    Superb writing.

"Just take the pain Martin. You hear me? You take it." (in context)
    Last edited by JHC; 05-21-2019 at 06:11 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'm more willing to suspend disbelief when it doesn't coincide with a political agenda. Strip away the guns and Wind River is typical left-wing Hollywood fare criticizing rural lifestyles and calling for bigger government.

The villains could just as easily have been truck drivers, mechanics, or (statistically the most likely) fellow Native Americans. But they were gun-toting blue collar workers in the mineral extraction business. And the solution is apparently for the admittedly ill-prepared FBI to double-down enforcement on reservations?
    Meh, I'm about 95% certain that the writer is one of us given is his work on the Sicario series, this movie, and the Yellowstone series. I know it is indeed normal for Hollywood to have an anti white male/anti rural bias, but I'm very sure that Tayler Sheridan is one of us.

https://www.star-telegram.com/entert...164729822.html

#RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm very sure that Tayler Sheridan is one of us.
    I like the way the star of the movie is just quietly lurking in the background...
    Name:  MovieStar.JPG
Views: 391
Size:  17.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Meh, I'm about 95% certain that the writer is one of us given is his work on the Sicario series, this movie, and the Yellowstone series. I know it is indeed normal for Hollywood to have an anti white male/anti rural bias, but I'm very sure that Tayler Sheridan is one of us.

https://www.star-telegram.com/entert...164729822.html

I haven't seen Sicario or Yellowstone, but Hell or High Water was pretty liberal themed: dying mother couldn't get the medical care she needed with her evil insurance so the evil bank gives her a loan she can't repay - both problems just begging for big government fixes! Bonus: all the armed civilians were ineffectual doofuses/liabilities throughout the movie.

I haven't seen Sicario or Yellowstone, but Hell or High Water was pretty liberal themed: dying mother couldn't get the medical care she needed with her evil insurance so the evil bank gives her a loan she can't repay - both problems just begging for big government fixes! Bonus: all the armed civilians were ineffectual doofuses/liabilities throughout the movie.
    Not being flippant, we can just disagree and drive on
    #RESIST

Does everything have to revert to politics?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Does everything have to revert to politics?
    First post on the Internet?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List