Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: Movie Wind River

A film with its own thread?

Had to check it out.

A fine film.
    “The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.” Machiavelli, The Prince

What were the oil company bad guys with body armor and scary black rifles guarding the rig from - sasquatch? And did LE really need to call in a super special tracker just to follow snowmobile tracks in virgin powder?

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    What were the oil company bad guys with body armor and scary black rifles guarding the rig from - sasquatch?
    Eco-terrorists or anti-pipeline leftists, perhaps? Islamist terrorists? I am serious. Critical infrastructure, both public and private, is targeted by a range of malcontents.
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-20-2019 at 07:04 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Eco-terrorists or anti-pipeline leftists, perhaps? Islamist terrorists? I am serious. Critical infrastructure, both public and private, is targeted by a range of malcontents.
    And in some locales, one of the most difficult tasks is convincing both the utility managers and the local government that it is a genuine threat.

Some of the reluctance is symbiotic; avoidance relieves individuals and organizations from taking action that are potentially controversial, and invariably involves increased budgeting.
    Last edited by Gray01; 05-20-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I never encountered any security personnel at a rig during my stint in the North Dakota oil fields. In fact, I rarely came across a closed gate!

A malcontent could make a localized mess, sure, but the regular workers made plenty of messes of their own. And unless you hit a good portion of the 1,000 rigs in the US, you wouldn't make a dint in the supply.

Now if there was some unsual demonstration going on, like the Dakota Access Pipeline protests, security might make sense. But that level of nearby unrest should at least rate a mention in the plot. Besides, the real world DAPL confrontations were more like random truck drivers waving a pistol at a crowd so they could leave their terminal (skip to ~1:00):
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 05-20-2019 at 08:01 PM.

I can’t recall, but in the movie wasn’t the oil facility and the crime scene on the res? That would likely be the reason or justification for private contract security.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    I can’t recall, but in the movie wasn’t the oil facility and the crime scene on the res? That would likely be the reason or justification for private contract security.
    It was, but lots of rigs are on reservations. The tribes lease the rights to the oil companies in exchange for a percentage -- they wouldn't want to mess with that gravy-train (aside from sometimes requiring a certain percentage of oil workers be hired from that tribe).

There are plenty of things to pick apart in this movie, but it checked several boxes for me:
    • Snowmobiles? Check!
    • Big Bore Scout Rifle? Check!
    • Reloading Press? Check!
    • 4-Wheel Drive Truck? Check!
    • Thong Underwear? Check!
    Last edited by mmc45414; 05-20-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Somebody had to rape the girl.
    Somebody had to catch .45-70 slugs.
    Somebody had to move the story along.

Actually, I suppose any roughneck could have done that.

Whatever, dudes got surprised with some 405's.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    What were the oil company bad guys with body armor and scary black rifles guarding the rig from - sasquatch? And did LE really need to call in a super special tracker just to follow snowmobile tracks in virgin powder?
    They were guarding against kill joys who don’t understand movies are entertainment and sometimes use improbable pretexts to move stories along.

User Tag List