Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Wind River

Loved it in the theater. Still liked the $1.50 Redbox rental tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Calling coyotes in like that so fast and the second coyote sitting around going “huh” was pretty funny. Still, a great movie.

Who here besides @Lost River and I, knew what a gambrel is?
    I think I remember making a crude gambrel, or two, with stiff wire, back in the day. I did not grow up in a hunting family, but in a semi-rural area, we had poultry.

Watched it on my transatlantic flight two days ago. Having spent half of my life in a very cold climate, got a chuckle at a cold-induced pulmonary hemorrhage thing, especially it being played out twice. Otherwise, enjoyed it, might look at few scenes again when I fly back.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Watched it on my transatlantic flight two days ago. Having spent half of my life in a very cold climate, got a chuckle at a cold-induced pulmonary hemorrhage thing, especially it being played out twice. Otherwise, enjoyed it, might look at few scenes again when I fly back.
    I was thinking that seemed a little too common to reproduce at will, am I correct?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    After all of the chatter on here, I went ahead an bought it on Amazon so that I could have it as hotel room and airplane fodder.

I just got a new smart TV with an Amazon app. The sound of the dialog was masked somewhat by the other sound effects making it difficult for me to catch some of the dialog.

Maybe when I watch it again it will improve. At this point, I wouldn't put it in the same league with "Hell or High Water", but that movie was much better on the second watching.

I taught my Police-Citizen Contacts course in Oklahoma last week, and one of the questions afterward had to do with tribal police and law. I had previously researched it a little and looked into it again after the question. It's a jumbled mess. The movie got the spirit of that correct.

As to the comment about the clothing, it is funny that they went to the trouble of using a "distressed" cowboy hat for Renner, but the rest of his clothing is pristine. When he was hunting the coyotes, I don't think he was using the levergun.
    Yeah, he was using a bolt gun for the yotes.
    #RESIST

I was thinking that seemed a little too common to reproduce at will, am I correct?
    I've seen some frozen people, and I spent a lot of time running in cold including sub zero temps. Never seen anyone bleed out in lungs. Russian cross country and biathlon teams had a base near my town, they put on up close to 50 km in training. Cold air is a very dry, low humidity air, there is not much there to crystallize when inhaled, as I remember being explained in the film.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    The sound of the dialog was masked somewhat by the other sound effects making it difficult for me to catch some of the dialog.

Maybe when I watch it again it will improve.
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    ^^^ This ^^^
    I had to listen to it through headphones in order to pick up all the dialog.
    Between tinnitus, cauliflower ear and the overlaid theatrical sound effects a lot of the dialog was lost to me (especially female voices).
    I used to keep rewinding to try to figure out dialog, now I mostly just start out with subtitles or closed captions instead of trying to do without then adding them halfway through the movie.

Looking forward to seeing this. Will likely get it from the library whenever they get a copy..
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-19-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    In regards to wind River:

Great movie, but there were a couple things that were way off. I suppose this comes from growing up and living in a similar environment.

Never have I ever seen an animal control guy, or any other predator hunter using a lever action, let alone a large bore one for the job. This is the land of extended ranges, and lever guns are extremely out of place. Virtually everyone carries a bolt gun, or now days an AR. The choice of a 45-70 is all wrong. .
    I totally get your overall point but still . . . griz: http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2017/11...ar-charge.html

Note that this particular Marlin .45-70 model has now appeared in 3 movies I'm aware of. The last Jurassic Park, The Kingsmen Golden Circle and Wind River. Interesting.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Deer hunters do. Or, the shape of a barn roof, but l know you didn’t mean that.

I think Lost is being a little critical about rifle choice. I grew up in rural West Texas. I saw many lever guns in backs of pickups and on ranches growing up. On ranches, they were carried in pickups for predator control and might be used during deer season. A large bore lever gun didn’t look out of place to me when Renner’s character was going after the mountain lion in timber. It certainly didn’t look out of place like a muzzle loading pistol on a modern day police officer.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

User Tag List