Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Deer hunters do. Or, the shape of a barn roof, but l know you didn’t mean that.

I think Lost is being a little critical about rifle choice. I grew up in rural West Texas. I saw many lever guns in backs of pickups and on ranches growing up. On ranches, they were carried in pickups for predator control and might be used during deer season. A large bore lever gun didn’t look out of place to me when Renner’s character was going after the mountain lion in timber. It certainly didn’t look out of place like a muzzle loading pistol on a modern day police officer.
    A .30-.30 lever action has probably killed more critters of all types on ranches than every other caliber/action combined.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

When he was hunting coyotes, he used a bolt-action. When they started hunting bandits, he used a levergun. Leverguns are appropriate for bandit whacking.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I've seen some frozen people, and I spent a lot of time running in cold including sub zero temps. Never seen anyone bleed out in lungs. Russian cross country and biathlon teams had a base near my town, they put on up close to 50 km in training. Cold air is a very dry, low humidity air, there is not much there to crystallize when inhaled, as I remember being explained in the film.
    Yeah doesn't the air immediately warm upon entering the esophagus? Pretty lame fictional cause of death.

They said in dialog it was -20 F at night IIRC. Below -10 shit get weird IIRC. But IDK. No running for me that cold.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I’ve been in cold chambers at -20 and even -40, not running of course, but my lungs didn’t freeze and I obviously didn’t drown in my own blood.

Running barefoot, in snow with no real protective clothing, yeah I can see dying in that environment jiffy quick. But it would be from hypothermia.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Calling coyotes in like that so fast and the second coyote sitting around going “huh” was pretty funny. Still, a great movie.

Who here besides @Lost River and I, knew what a gambrel is?
    Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    I’ve been in cold chambers at -20 and even -40, not running of course, but my lungs didn’t freeze and I obviously didn’t drown in my own blood.

Running barefoot, in snow with no real protective clothing, yeah I can see dying in that environment jiffy quick. But it would be from hypothermia.
    When I deplaned at Ft Wainwright in -40 I discovered my WI experience of -15 was bullshit compared to -40. First inhale felt like it was freeze drying the hair in my nose! UP went the snorkel hood! I can't imagine running in it. Walking with face exposed was painful fast.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Movie Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    When I deplaned at Ft Wainwright in -40 I discovered my WI experience of -15 was bullshit compared to -40. First inhale felt like it was freeze drying the hair in my nose! UP went the snorkel hood! I can't imagine running in it. Walking with face exposed was painful fast.
    It’s ok to be a mouth breather when it’s -40.

The coldest I’ve ever experienced was about -45 degrees in Harbin, which for someone born and raised in Virginia, was a bit of a shock. After a certain point I don’t even think about the specific number of degrees below zero, it’s just fucking unreasonably cold.

That said, while I sure as shit wasn’t running around at the time, I’d agree that a death related to exposure and hypothermia seems far more realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Matt O; 11-22-2017 at 06:52 AM.

Coldest I've been out on multi-day winter backpacking trips was -15* and below for up to a week on Mt. Washington in NH, (a locale known for its monstrously high winds), in the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks, specifically Mt. Marcy, the highest point in NY., and in the back country of Yosemite near Vogelsang Pass.

Granted, we weren't running, but climbing, backpacking, snowshoeing in cold / deep snow will get your motor running.

I can't recall any respiratory distress during those outings.
    Last edited by blues; 11-22-2017 at 08:58 AM.

Site Supporter
    I suspect hyperventilating from a traumatic event whilst running outside in -40 would be a different ball game. Still, pulmonary hemorrhage seems like it was chosen for shock value.

I think hypothermia would be more plausible in the real world.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List