Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flashligt Strobe

Site Supporter
    I would suggest doing some reading on TPI, where the value of strobe has been discussed at length.

In short, no one who knows what they are doing will claim to be able to disable anyone with a flashlight short of striking someone with the light. The light helps identify targets, and buys fractions of a second to address the target. Southnarc has a technique for disguising movement using strobe, and everything he teaches gets pressure tested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Bill's comments are compatible with what I learned in Craig's AMIS. As I remember, he used strobe to mask movement, and while I knew he was going to do it, it still masked his movement. This is short bursts of strobe, not constant on.

E

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I would suggest doing some reading on TPI, where the value of strobe has been discussed at length.

In short, no one who knows what they are doing will claim to be able to disable anyone with a flashlight short of striking someone with the light. The light helps identify targets, and buys fractions of a second to address the target. Southnarc has a technique for disguising movement using strobe, and everything he teaches gets pressure tested.

It's a short clip but here's a comparison between Craig in AMIS using constant flashlight 'snapshots' to clear a space, and second a strobe and some of his deceptive light 'painting' to mask his peeking this room. It's hard to capture how bizzare this looks to the recipient on video.

When someone who is good at that technique is hunting for you, it feels like the aliens are coming with the probe. It's unnerving.

https://youtu.be/jgZzVjhodrk

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    Bill's comments are compatible with what I learned in Craig's AMIS. As I remember, he used strobe to mask movement, and while I knew he was going to do it, it still masked his movement. This is short bursts of strobe, not constant on.

E

nwhpfan,

I don't have any answer to your original question.

When it comes to the 'denial of visual information' effect that a bright light in the face can provide, I personally prefer if someone uses a strobe against me rather than a constant-on beam. I think that's the opposite of what I usually hear reported. I know the strobe may be better in terms of masking movement, but constant-on denies me everything except the location of the light itself. Otherwise I just get total glare from constant-on beam in my face and can't see anything past the bright light. A strobe isn't on the whole time, and the dark gaps between flashes let me see quite a bit more in those little snippets of time where the light is off.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Disorienting effect is called the "Bucha" effect. Frequency of 1-20hz is capable of disorienting, inducing seizure, nausea and vertigo. The actual papers with specific frequencies is offline and difficult to locate, as I think these were academic papers with defense applications.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    I'm aware of dozens of incidents in which "blinding light" was used and I would venture to say that shining a bright light in somebody's eyes is already a well known tactic to disable, distract, incapacitate - in essece deployed to the users advantage.
    Ken Hackathorn has a demo for this. Digs a hole in the target's head, sticks a flashlight in it pointed towards the shooter, and has a student shoot the target. Having 1000 lumens in the face is definitely uncomfortable, but it doesn't "blind" people, regardless of what Surefire would have you believe.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

AMIS puts you on both sides of the light equation. It is a DAMN hard class to get into though.

I lit up a fellow student who accidentally left his beam on for a couple seconds by blindly firing down the hall as the "bad guy" (bad guys don't give a shit what they hit, and Hackathorn was right). I also got completely taken by surprise by a SWAT officer who utilized the illumination strategy presented by Shivworks perfectly. I had no idea where he was coming from, and all of the sudden there was a gun and light in my face.

I also got ripped up hard by a student who had taken the class before, knew the light strategy and used it against me... kudos to him.

I am a big fan of how Shivworks does pressure testing. I have seen nothing similar that is available for civilians compared to AMIS.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 10-29-2017 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Ken Hackathorn has a demo for this. Digs a hole in the target's head, sticks a flashlight in it pointed towards the shooter, and has a student shoot the target. Having 1000 lumens in the face is definitely uncomfortable, but it doesn't "blind" people, regardless of what Surefire would have you believe.
    I’ve done this. I shot the light and just below the light...

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    Does anyone know of an ACTUAL VERIFIED incident in whcih somebody used the strobe function on a flashlight to disable an attacker.

Where it happened, where it was reported, police agency that the attack was reported too, etc.

Please no rumors.

Thanks!
    You didn't specify human attacker. I used the Fenix TK15 multi-pattern strobe to "thwart" a potential dog attack a few years back. Happened out by my mailbox which is why I happened to have the light in my hand at the time. Just appeared out of the bushes snarling and baring teeth. I had the PPS leveled on him and then punched the strobe. He moved side to side a bit and then ran off. I really don't know whether that would have been an actual attack or if he just wanted to scare me into giving up my junk mail. The light definitely had a noticeable effect on that dog that particular evening.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Ken Good, Chuck Haggard and Craig Douglas would be good to ask about this.

In AMIS, in the dark, a properly used strobe made it easy for your opponent to move in unexpected ways.

User Tag List