Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flashligt Strobe

Flashligt Strobe

Does anyone know of an ACTUAL VERIFIED incident in whcih somebody used the strobe function on a flashlight to disable an attacker.

Where it happened, where it was reported, police agency that the attack was reported too, etc.

Please no rumors.

Thanks!
    A71593

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    Does anyone know of an ACTUAL VERIFIED incident in whcih somebody used the strobe function on a flashlight to disable an attacker.

Where it happened, where it was reported, police agency that the attack was reported too, etc.

Please no rumors.

Thanks!
    Define "disable".

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Define "disable".

This is the definition from the dictionary.

a verb.

"of disease, injury, or accident, limit someone in their movements, senes, or activities."

These are the synonyms.

Incapacitate, debilitate, indisposed, unfit, immobolized, out of action, out of commision,
    A71593

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I have been substantially disoriented by strobes in FOF when playing a hostage taker facing our local SWAT equivalent.

If you want a more specific ACTUAL VERIFICATION you might need a more specific ACTUAL DEFINITION. If you're asking whether someone has been put "out of commission" by a strobe light, I'd say "not unless they're epileptic". If you're asking whether a temporary reduction in ability greater than that generated by non-strobing lights has occurred, then yes.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Without splitting hairs on what the OP means by "disable, " I think the idea behind the question is, is there any verifiable justification in this way too common feature on most lights besides anecdotal accounts? "Strobes make me dizzy" doesn't count.

I, for one, find the function on my lights to be a nuisance.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    This is the definition from the dictionary.

a verb.

"of disease, injury, or accident, limit someone in their movements, senes, or activities."

These are the synonyms.

Incapacitate, debilitate, indisposed, unfit, immobolized, out of action, out of commision,
    I was trying to drill down on what you considered "disabled", if disorientation, mental stutters, etc. counted. "Disabled" to me means out of the fight for a substantial length of time, which is different than degraded abilities, and would color the answer I had for you. Thanks for the vocabulary builder, good look with your quest for information.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I have been substantially disoriented by strobes in FOF when playing a hostage taker facing our local SWAT equivalent.

If you want a more specific ACTUAL VERIFICATION you might need a more specific ACTUAL DEFINITION. If you're asking whether someone has been put "out of commission" by a strobe light, I'd say "not unless they're epileptic". If you're asking whether a temporary reduction in ability greater than that generated by non-strobing lights has occurred, then yes.
    This has been my experience with them.

Having practiced the quick blast to the face with the handheld light, I'm not convinced the strobe feature is of much use on a personal light/gun light, as the regular high blast buys you a couple secs pretty damned reliably and never misfires if all your light has is one tap for high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I was trying to drill down on what you considered "disabled", if disorientation, mental stutters, etc. counted. "Disabled" to me means out of the fight for a substantial length of time, which is different than degraded abilities, and would color the answer I had for you. Thanks for the vocabulary builder, good look with your quest for information.
    No need to get wrapped around the word, that's why I gave the synonyms. I don't have a special definition for "disable" beyond what is in the dictionary.

In a nutshell I'm trying to gather information on ACTUAL incidents in which a LEO or non LEO purposly deployed the strobe function on their flashlight to their benifit.

I'm aware of dozens of incidents in which "blinding light" was used and I would venture to say that shining a bright light in somebody's eyes is already a well known tactic to disable, distract, incapacitate - in essece deployed to the users advantage.

Strobe function has been very common for about 10 years now and I'm interested in its actual value and actual use.
    A71593

Good luck, this might be a fruitless quest.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    No need to get wrapped around the word, that's why I gave the synonyms. I don't have a special definition for "disable" beyond what is in the dictionary.

In a nutshell I'm trying to gather information on ACTUAL incidents in which a LEO or non LEO purposly deployed the strobe function on their flashlight to their benifit.

I'm aware of dozens of incidents in which "blinding light" was used and I would venture to say that shining a bright light in somebody's eyes is already a well known tactic to disable, distract, incapacitate - in essece deployed to the users advantage.

Strobe function has been very common for about 10 years now and I'm interested in its actual value and actual use.
    First you need to make a distinction between the automatic strobe feature of flashlight and the technique of manually strobing flashlights inorder to mask position and movement.

Strobing as a technique works in that it makes it harder for an opponent to orient to the users position and track their movement.

As for the automatic strobe function, I'm not a fan. First it can work both ways. Second it does not "disable" anyone (except certain epileptics for whom strobes can trigger seizures) The automatic strobing feature can temporarily (very temporarily, like a second or two) disorient an opponent allowing you to gain or maintain initiative but a bright light can do the same. Basically a "flashback" effect.

Strobes are great for making sure traffic or aircraft see you at night.

User Tag List