Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Third Pistol 17 or 19?

Third Pistol 17 or 19?

I currently own a Gen3 G19 and a Gen3 G26. I am interested in purchasing a 3rd pistol preferably a Gen 5 because of the reviews on this forum. I am 6' 4" and have large hands. When I grip a 19, my pinky finger covers the magazine baseplate. I have a concealed carry permit and carry my 19 every day IWB at 2:30. I am hearing whispers I'm about to lose my 26 to my wife.

I am afraid of the front cut out on the Gen 5's. How does the grip texture of the Gen 5 feel when carrying against bare skin? One of these pistols will be my CCW pistol and the other will reside in a nightstand. If I get a 17, I avoid the cut out isssue and also eliminate the grip texture against bare skin but my lurking leads me to believe I'm better served by two 19's. Does it make sense to own a 17 for HD and a 19 for CCW or is it better to own 2 19's?

What does everyone recommend? Thanks.

I am in the minority in that I don't particularly like the 19 because it's too small for my hands. I am very comfortable with the 17 and for concealment that extra half inch of grip doesn't seem to make a difference for me. I have a Gen 5 and the cut out doesn't bother me at all.....it's a great option and the texture doesn't bug me at all.

Glock 17 all the way.
    For the following reasons:

It's the original.
    You're 6'4".
    Larger guns are easier to advance your skills with.
    It gives you 18 chances to say, "I strenuously object to your behavior."
    It's a very shootable platform.
    You won't regret it.
    I bet you can conceal a 17.
    I feel like the Gen 5 texture is comfortable against bear skin while still being grippy.
    Last edited by BJJ; 09-23-2017 at 06:00 PM.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

You're a big guy. Get what fits. In your case that sounds like the Mdl 17. Then get a holster to accommodate it. The JMCK IWB 3 seems to work well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    It gives you 18 chances to say, "I strenuously object to your behavior."
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    I feel like the Gen 5 texture is comfortable against bear skin while still being grippy.
    Does the bear agree with that assessment?

Chris

A big dude like you? 17. No reason to shoot a pistol that's too small for you.

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep my eyes open for a new 17.

If I already owned 2 Gen 3s I'd be hesitant to buy a Gen 5 because then I'd need to have 2 different sets of replacement parts.

I have a 19 and a 26 so unless I buy a gen3 19 I'll need 3 different sets of spare parts anyway.

Site Supporter
    I'd probably jump head first into the Gen5 pool, but I already have Gen 2,3,4 guns. Historically I've kept all my Glock parts in one box, but I might buy four smaller boxes for the different generations. While it's a little bit of trouble, keeping parts for three different pistols is not a logistical impossibility. If you really like the G19 but don't like the cut out in the Gen5, you could get a Gen4. Do the finger grooves on your Gen3 pistol bother you?

EDIT: I tried to buy a Gen5 last week, but they weren't in stock yet at my local blue label (i.e. GSSF) dealer. Hopefully on Monday...
    Last edited by pangloss; 09-23-2017 at 09:55 PM.

User Tag List