Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Historical Quotes

A few more gems from Marcus Aurelius.

For those who sometimes find it difficult to acccept help:

"Do not be ashamed of help. It is your task to achieve your assigned duty, like a soldier in a scaling party. What, then, if you are lame and cannot climb the parapet by yourself, but this is made possible with another’s help?"

How to cheer yourself up and value your friends:

"Whenever you want to cheer yourself, think of the qualities of your fellows – the energy of one, for example, the decency of another, the generosity of a third, some other merit in a fourth. There is nothing so cheering as the stamp of virtues manifest in the character of colleagues – and the greater the collective incidence, the better. So keep them ready to hand."

When bad things happen and life is hard:

"‘It is my bad luck that this has happened to me.’ No, you should rather say: ‘It is my good luck that, although this has happened to me, I can bear it without pain, neither crushed by the present nor fearful of the future.’ Because such a thing could have happened to any man, but not every man could have borne it without pain. So why see more misfortune in the event than good fortune in your ability to bear it?... Can there be anything, then, in this happening which prevents you being just, high-minded, self-controlled, intelligent, judicious, truthful, honourable and free – or any of those attributes whose combination is the fulfilment of man’s proper nature. So in all future events which might induce sadness remember to call on this principal: ‘this is no misfortune, but to bear it true to yourself is good fortune.’"

On Prayer:

"Either the gods have power or they do not. Now, if they have no power, why pray? If they do have power, why not pray for their gift of freedom from all worldly fear, desire, or regret, rather than the presence or absence of this or that? Certainly, if the gods can cooperate with men, they can cooperate to these ends.

But you might say: ‘The gods have put these things in my own power.’ Is it not then better to use your own power in freedom than show a servile and supine concern for what you cannot control? And who told you the gods do not help us even to the ends which lie within our own power? At any rate, pray about these things, and you will see. One man prays: ‘How can I sleep with this woman?’ Your prayer is: ‘How can I lose the desire to sleep with her?’ Another prays: ‘How can I be rid of that man?’ Your prayer: ‘How can I stop wanting to be rid of him?’ Another: ‘How can I save my little child?’ You: ‘How can I learn not to fear his loss?’ And so on. Give all your prayers this turn, and observe what happens."

I read Meditations of Marcus Aurelius at least one a year. I gain new insights with each reading.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    "In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American … There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    A thousand times this.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

A great quote on the timeless wisdom the founding fathers expressed in the Declaration of Independence:

"About the Declaration there is a finality that is exceedingly restful. It is often asserted that the world has made a great deal of progress since 1776, that we have had new thoughts and new experiences which have given us a great advance over the people of that day, and that we may therefore very well discard their conclusions for something more modern. But that reasoning can not be applied to this great charter. If all men are created equal, that is final. If they are endowed with inalienable rights, that is final. If governments derive their just powers from the consent of the governed, that is final. No advance, no progress can be made beyond these propositions. If anyone wishes to deny their truth or their soundness, the only direction in which he can proceed historically is not forward, but backward toward the time when there was no equality, no rights of the individual, no rule of the people. Those who wish to proceed in that direction can not lay claim to progress. They are reactionary. Their ideas are not more modern, but more ancient, than those of the Revolutionary fathers." Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    I don't like when people say "I'm doing my best", it seems......lame. I think of this when I hear that-

“Sometimes doing your best is not good enough. Sometimes you must do what is required". Winston S. Churchill
    "Don't do your best, do my best." Adam Carolla

Site Supporter
    I somehow managed to post this in the rage quitting thread yesterday. Wasn't even PUI.

" Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!"

– Hunter S. Thompson
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

"Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”"

-R A Heinlein
    Last edited by Corey; 09-25-2017 at 11:02 AM.

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society.* Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions."

Major Douglas A. Zembiec, USMC

"The society that makes great distinction between its Scholars and its Warriors will have it's thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools" –Thucydides
    Last edited by Cheap Shot; 09-25-2017 at 04:01 PM.

[SIZE=3]"The society that makes great distinction between its Scholars and its Warriors will have it's thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools" –Thucydides

“Keep the company of those who seek the truth- run from those who have found it”

― Václav Havel

User Tag List