Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Historical Quotes

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Favorite Historical Quotes

I was doing some Googling around the site and I couldn't find a thread about this. We've had movie quotes, but not historical quotes...?

My SO is watching 'The Crown,' and seeing John Lithgow as Churchill is reminding me of a ton of Churchill's more famous remarks. Anyways, I thought it'd be fun to share them. Some are inane, others are serious.

First:

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 2.54.26 PM.png
Views: 765
Size:  52.8 KB

"I may be drunk, miss, but in the morning, I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." - Winston Churchill

"We shall not fail or falter. We shall not weaken or tire. Neither the sudden shock of battle nor the long-drawn trials of vigilance and exertion will wear us down. Give us the tools and we will finish the job." - Winston Churchill

"It’s not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what’s required." - Winston Churchill

(Hopefully all of those are historically accurate - I haven't researched them in depth.)

And some quotes from others.

"I'd rather go down the river with seven studs than with a hundred shitheads." - Charlie Beckwith

"Well, 'get overrun,' 'not make it,' ...it's a relative term. You can get overrun and still make it - you just got to kill everybody." - Paul Howe

"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

"A person who never made mistake never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

"Damn it, boys, they're getting away!"- anon sailor during the Battle off Samar
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

One of mine:

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American … There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Another:
    "We're paratroopers, we're supposed to be surrounded." Dick Winters
    Last edited by El Cid; 09-23-2017 at 04:47 PM.

"Trust, like the soul, once departed never returns." - Publilius Syrus
    There's nothing civil about this war.

"Sapere aude!" = "Dare to think for yourself!" (Horace, Immanuel Kant et al.)

Kant claimed the phrase as the motto of the Age of Enlightenment. I hope for a new Age of Enlightenment. These days, too many people only parrot what the mainstream media say. Not good.
    Last edited by P30; 09-23-2017 at 04:59 PM.

"I’m going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years."

SECDEF James Mattis
    - USMC, retired.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    “If we’d lost the war, we’d all have been prosecuted as war criminals.” — Curtis LeMay
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

He who gives up liberty for security,
    Gets neither and that is what he deserves.

Ben Franklin

Site Supporter
    "So I said to myself, 'Self! Looks we've gotten ourself in trouble.' "

~1978 — Relief Mate "Stinky" - MV Bernese .
    Last edited by Bigguy; 09-23-2017 at 07:41 PM.

"When one with honeyed words but evil mind
    Persuades the mob, great woes befall the state.”
    Euripides, Orestes, 408 BC
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List