Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electronic ear muffs with a brimmed hat

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Sordin does, though it's quite expensive. https://srstactical.com/msa-sordin-s...-neckband.html
    That's what I use. Works over a ball cap and under a boonie hat or ballistic helmet. Expensive but durable and quality seldom come cheap.

bigger size hat ???? be cheaper than another set of muffs

Full disclosure - I'm probably a lot "deafer" than most people from 12 years of rifle and heavy weapons live fire using just "foamy" ear plugs. Having said that, I've been using cheap ass Peltor - 6 behind the neck electronic muffs for over a decade with good results. When I need tactical comms and helmet wear, I get issued MSAs - but for running the line and shooting on my own, the Peltors have been fine. No, the sound quality isn't as good - but I can literally buy and throw away four pairs of Peltors and STILL be under the cost of Sordins.

And, they stay put, under any headgear.

YMMV, but that's my experience.

This is the main reason I got a set of sordins.

The neck strap version lets me wear whatever hat and doesn't pinch my glasses as badly as over the head styles do. I'm overly sensitive to that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Sordin does, though it's quite expensive. https://srstactical.com/msa-sordin-s...-neckband.html
    Going on 5/6 years with mine. They have help up really well considering I use them while doing the lawn, shooting and reside in the center console of my truck in Texas heat (never know when your going to need them). I do need to replace the gel/ear cups now, the originals have held up great with periodic baby wipes used to clean them.

My head band straps are finally starting to fray but those are replaceable and have lasted imo very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I bought a set of Peltors for this precise purpose, but I have been underwhelmed with them. For just shooting, I guess they are fine, but I don't like using them when teaching as my voice sounds strangely muffled.

The electronics are also funky. One side works better than the other.

Chief,

Which model have you been trying? I've heard of some issues with the less expensive versions. But I've been impressed with their Swattac/Comtac models. They're on par with Sordin's higher end headgear, from a sound quality perspective, and otherwise, IME. You might give them a try if you haven't. They can also be had with a behind-the-neck band and upgrade/replacement parts are easily available.

I've been using the same pair of IIs for pushing 12 years of regular work and recreational/training use and they're still going strong.

t

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Chief,

Which model have you been trying? I've heard of some issues with the less expensive versions. But I've been impressed with their Swattac/Comtac models. They're on par with Sordin's higher end headgear, from a sound quality perspective, and otherwise, IME. You might give them a try if you haven't. They can also be had with a behind-the-neck band and upgrade/replacement parts are easily available.

I've been using the same pair of IIs for pushing 12 years of regular work and recreational/training use and they're still going strong.

t
    I don't remember the model name. They were a little more expensive than the Howard Lights.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I don't remember the model name. They were a little more expensive than the Howard Lights.
    One of the big differences between the more and less expensive models is water / moisture resistance.

I wear regular over the head muffs and a baseball cap. In the summer months when the sun is strong I wrap a cooling towel around my neck mainly to protect from the sun. I will also wear arm cooling sleeves to prevent sunburn on the tops of my forearms. I find this combination prevents sunburn without having to resort to smearing on sunblock which I detest.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    For years now I have to wear a wide brim to avoid sun exposure. None of the behind the neck versions ever made me happy and seemed to slip out of place a lot. I tried Walker game ear (target ear) and the things worked but never lasted more than 18 months and went kaput. I got these a year ago and have been very pleased so far...expensive, but solved the problem for me. I drop the cord down the back of my shirt and clip the unit on my belt for range use. I am hoping they will hold up for a few years.
    About how often are you using them? Any issues with battery-life? Do the foam tips fit well?

I was just about to drop some cash on Sordins, but I'm always leery of dropping big money on muffs, because my glasses almost always cause them to not seal well. These active plugs look great. I wear earbuds in the office, ear plugs to sleep frequently, etc. So I'm a big fan of plugs over muffs. I'm inclined to give these a shot, just don't want to shell out $250 and have technical issues. Where as we know Sordin will stand behind their products, any issues with Silynx?

User Tag List