Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brown Bear 115gr Bimetal FMJ Lacquered Case

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    It's fine. Not the best ammo, but neither will it negatively affect your gun. Run it.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

This and Tula ammo is bout the only thing I run in my glocks works fine not super dirty like everyone thinks and is fairly accurate, and it's super cheap, I've found it to be loaded a little hotter than most factory ammo.. I love the stuff have bought several cases from SGAMMO...

JV and I just ran about 100 rounds of Brown Bear thru a full size PX4. Zero problems, even with the 12 pound Wilson Combat mainspring.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    If I had a batch, I'd shoot it but at the same time would wonder how much extra wear that the bimetal bullet put on my barrel. I choose not to buy this ammo, and my reason is bias. Having said that, ya'll can ship me yours if you don't want it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    It's fine. Not the best ammo, but neither will it negatively affect your gun. Run it.
    Not correct. Bimetal projectiles wear throats and rifling much faster than standard gilding metal and the lacquer on those cases can and does build up in chambers.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Bimetal projectiles wear throats and rifling much faster than standard gilding metal
    Is that effect as pronounced at pistol velocities? I load my own, so the pricing described in this thread isn't low enough to make me want to buy any, but I'm curious about this aspect of it nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    This and Tula ammo is bout the only thing I run in my glocks works fine not super dirty like everyone thinks and is fairly accurate, and it's super cheap, I've found it to be loaded a little hotter than most factory ammo.. I love the stuff have bought several cases from SGAMMO...
    After witnessing a friend come across a squib, multiple mangled cases, setback bullets and assorted other issues while running through a case of 9mm Tula at one of Todd's classes, I wrote this brand off. My friend described the shot to shot consistency from this particular case as "pop...bang...POP...pffftt...pop...BANG...pop. .." and opined that the Tula factory workers needed to lay off the vodka when loading cases. YMMV.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Not correct. Bimetal projectiles wear throats and rifling much faster than standard gilding metal and the lacquer on those cases can and does build up in chambers.
    Wayne,

Is it likely to have a measurable effect given the quantity the OP suggested?
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Site Supporter
    Consider whether you get longer barrel life and longer accuracy with gilding metal (copper, zinc and nickel) rubbing and blasting past your steel rifling or if you think steel doing the same down your barrel is better. It's a fairly easy choice. You can buy cheap or you can buy good. My experience with Russian ammo is to use it in Russian guns (which aren't very refined or accurate).
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Anybody use these or have issues with them? Would be shot from Gen 5 G-19. Just happened to 1,000 given to me. Figure at worst I can use them on zombies. Would like to use them up, but not if they suck and throw of my live fire training.Attachment 20320
    The only issue I have had with Brown Bear, or other cheap Russian ammo, is the occasional hard primer. Usually fires on the second strike. Maybe that could be good tap, rack, & fire training for you? It should not be bad enough to throw off your training.

As far as increased wear, the bimetal bullets will cause more wear.But not enough to cause concern particularly with free ammo. Even if you were paying for it, the normal discounted purchase price would more than make up for buying a new barrel. This is true even with the accelerated wear of a 5.56/.223 barrel, let alone a 9mm.

User Tag List