Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need: Shoes - Slip-On/Quick-On That Don't Suck

I know a lot of people like Blundstones, but there're not what you want when you have to leave the sidewalk (if you know what I mean).

I'm new to the Olukai brand. Never heard of 'em before reading this thread.

What would you guys recommend for a comfortable indoor / outdoor slip on that wouldn't fall apart and would protect on gravel? (I like the wide toe box of Keen's and similarly designed footwear...plus arch support if I can get it.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    They are about equivalent to Keens. It's the feature that made me buy my first pair.
    That's what came to my mind, as well. They both work well for me. My Olukais are extremely comfortable, and the drop in heel actually works well. Cons are cost and--to some extent--life span. The ones I have all have a hybrid leather/rubber sole...the rubber pads are a bit soft, and wear down (although admittedly I have used mine hard).

I'll second Sanuk Sidewalk Surfers. Very comfortable and lotsa different styles/colors available.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm new to the Olukai brand. Never heard of 'em before reading this thread.

What would you guys recommend for a comfortable indoor / outdoor slip on that wouldn't fall apart and would protect on gravel? (I like the wide toe box of Keen's and similarly designed footwear...plus arch support if I can get it.)
    Blues, sorry, did not see your question. I have two pairs of the OluKais Moloas--there's a pic in here that shows the hybrid soles I was talking about:

https://www.olukai.com/moloa.html?color=ray-toffee

I have a semi-high arch, and they work well for me--regularly wore my first pair for 3-5 mile walks on asphalt trail as well as GP use (including some early AM dog walking in light snow/slush, which they definitely aren't meant for). I got about a year out of them before the rubber pads were pretty worn and the shoes were getting ragged out (I still use that pair for stuff I shouldn't have used them for in the first place). The soles protect decently--I can't recall walking on gravel with them, though, and that might put some wear on them. The heel design works great for me--I wear them as slip ons around the house (we have wood floors) and pull the heel up if I head outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    Blues, sorry, did not see your question. I have two pairs of the OluKais Moloas--there's a pic in here that shows the hybrid soles I was talking about:

https://www.olukai.com/moloa.html?color=ray-toffee

I have a semi-high arch, and they work well for me--regularly wore my first pair for 3-5 mile walks on asphalt trail as well as GP use (including some early AM dog walking in light snow/slush, which they definitely aren't meant for). I got about a year out of them before the rubber pads were pretty worn and the shoes were getting ragged out (I still use that pair for stuff I shouldn't have used them for in the first place). The soles protect decently--I can't recall walking on gravel with them, though, and that might put some wear on them. The heel design works great for me--I wear them as slip ons around the house (we have wood floors) and pull the heel up if I head outside.
    Thanks, Gater, those are pretty nice.

I have a pair of Merrell "Encore" mesh that will need replacement due to the uppers falling apart, the soles are still like new. They're a nice, comfortable hybrid for indoor/outdoor around here but the sizing is bizarre on the Encores.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Thanks, Gater, those are pretty nice.

I have a pair of Merrell "Encore" mesh that will need replacement due to the uppers falling apart, the soles are still like new. They're a nice, comfortable hybrid for indoor/outdoor around here but the sizing is bizarre on the Encores.
    Blues, you beat me to the brand I was gonna suggest. Merrell has several styles of slip on. Columbia has some nice styles in cloth, leather, and suede. I also wanna second the suggestion about Lock Laces. I have used them on running shoes and casual shoes. They can be adjusted as tight or loose as you like.

So, I actually went with something different...My wife got pissed that my latest pair of Toms had developed a hole that she could see my toes through...and ordered me to buy shoes immediately.

A quick trip to Amazon and I got a pair of Altama OTB Maritime Assault Lows - http://www.altama.com/usa_en/product...-multicam.html

Name:  IMG_2229.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  43.7 KB

Which I outfitted with quick elastic laces. There are three reasons I went with these: 1) Quality of construction is excellent. 2) Materials are made to deal with water (and it never fails, that me + closed toed soft shoes = water. And today is a perfect example, these arrived yesterday, today it is raining...). 3) They look awesome (and I can't believe it, but I bought Multicam, instead of black).

All that said, I will probably acquire a pair of Olukais this winter for next year, because one can never have too many shoes.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 10-04-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Those look nice! So nice I bought a pair in.............Coyote
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Those look nice! So nice I bought a pair in.............Coyote
    Let me know how you like yours.

So far, I'm on Day 4 with these shoes and I've worn them every day. They are breaking in nicely, the first day, the inner cordura fabric that lines the ankle area was "sharp" to the touch and quickly gave me a couple of hotspot blisters when worn without socks. So, the next three days I wore socks with them, I also just took about 20 minutes and used my fingers to rub the "sharp" off the fabric, by rolling it between my fingers. Now, I can wear them sans socks, no issues.

The insoles are surprisingly supportive (I have high arches) and I've had no problem walking 3 or 4 miles a day in them. 3-4 miles in a pair of Tom's was basically a recipe for calf and arch pain, so they were strictly "around the block/around the house shoes". These can easily be "every day" shoes.

And they've shown virtually no wear so far after probably about 12-15 miles of walking. That's what I'd expect from a pair of decent quality shoes...

User Tag List