Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need: Shoes - Slip-On/Quick-On That Don't Suck

Need: Shoes - Slip-On/Quick-On That Don't Suck

First - I've got boots covered, I've got sandals covered, I've got tennis shoes covered.

I have for the past 18-months of so, been wearing Tom's canvas shoes as an easy "slip-on" closed toed shoe for walking the dog, running to the bodega/drug store/road trips/working in the garage. The problem is that in 18-months, I've worn through 3-pairs. I find the canvas shoes comfy for general stuff, light, easy to pack and use as a casual shoe when traveling, etc. But I'm a little frustrated by spending $50/pair for 6'ish months of wear. - So, I'm soliciting to see if there are opinions for anything that is more durable, but similar in the comfort/ease of wear level.

Only requirements - 1) Comfy to wear without socks. 2) Not too hot (this eliminates things like crocs/synthetic mocs/etc. those things are hotter than two rats fornicating in a wool sock.). 3) Come in black. 4) Budget <$150.

Preferable - "Slip-On" type shoe that doesn't have laces, but quick laces/comfy laced shoes are not a deal breaker.

NOT looking for - Sperrys or boat shoes. They fail the not too hot requirement 90% of the time and frankly, I don't want to look like a douchebag Frat Bro.

The only non-Tom's option I have considered are "Kung-Fu Shoes" which look alot like Tom's but cost $12/pair instead of $50...

Dude... what's yr beef with the "classic" Vans™ slip ons? If I'm not wearing custom boots (I was just in White's today) or dress Fluvogs, I'm in checkered Vans™. That's my summer EDW from my front door to the studio, or from the front door to the curb for garbage/recycling day.

Plus, college chicks dig them (seriously; not that I give a rip, since I've been married up for 25 years...)

If you're not into college age gals, they have solid color options for the grey (old) man.

ETA: Leather is more durable than canvas, most often. For example, these perforated (venting) leather Vans:

https://www.zappos.com/p/vans-classi...0923060644%3As

One example...
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 09-23-2017 at 01:08 AM.

Site Supporter
    Keds? I had a pair in 8th grade and really liked them. I see they have a Men's Collection.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Merrill Jungle Mocs.

Site Supporter
    Appears that Cushe has gone out of business, but you can still find product for sale on Amazon and elsewhere.
    MUCH better wearing soles and uppers than Tom's. Similar comfort IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ds=cushe+shoes
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 09-23-2017 at 06:38 AM.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

There's nothing civil about this war.

I have been wearing these for years and have had good luck with wear,sizing,comfort and value.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/5867...ort-mocs&csp=f

I just tried the Duluth Trading versions and found them to look almost identical down to stitching and tread pattern but they aren't as comfortable.

I'm currently using a pair of canvas Palladium boots with the laces swapped out for elastic lock laces (don't remember the brand, but they were like $5 from amazon) I bet if you did the same thing with their oxford shoes you'd get pretty close to what you're looking for.

User Tag List