Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Benelli R1

What I will be closely following is the reliability of the ten round magazines, whether optics hold zero with barrel changes, and can the trigger be improved.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    So there's hope. haha.

I don't see a .308win offering on the Benelli website. Can you share the part number?
    Benelli doesn’t currently offer a .308 R1. .308 barrels are out there; I bought a .30-06 rifle and found a .308 barrel on eBay. Part number is 81149.

I've been shooting this rifle with the shortened 18" barrel and 10-round mags. While it's not as accurate as a bolt rifle, it is good enough, right around an inch at 100 with hunting ammo. The coolest thing about this rifle is how significant the recoil reduction is because of the action and stock. It cycles fast and doesn't move much. Next, a hog hunt with maybe an Aimpoint or 1-4 LPV.

Name:  r1 - 1.jpg
Views: 12693
Size:  59.5 KB

An R1 .30-06 with a ten round magazine and a LPV would be a good Kodiak deer hunting rifle.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Midwest Gun Works shows the 10-round .308 mags in stock. Could make this a limited-capacity-jurisdiction-friendly AR-ternative.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/81124

Wait till more guns get out into distribution. You should see $1100-ish prices, I reckon.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 07-16-2019 at 06:29 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Midwest Gun Works shows the 10-round .308 mags in stock. Could make this a limited-capacity-jurisdiction-friendly AR-ternative.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/81124

Wait till more guns get out into distribution. You should see $1100-ish prices, I reckon.
    What's with the, ah...styling?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    1. Italians and other Europeans in the early 2000s. Look at Browning's line of hunting rifles...

2. You could probably easily grab a fistful of it with a slippery mitten on your support hand and pull it out.

3. The "foot" might make a decent rest that wouldn't risk affecting POA/POI. Would require testing.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Could make this a limited-capacity-jurisdiction-friendly AR-ternative.
    Could be. I just found out they're all drilled and tapped for open sights also. Might have to save up for one.

Is the MR1 still availible in the states? I know they had a version without a PG.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

After some time banging around in the field with this rifle, I lost interest in the project and sold it. Admittedly, part of the reason it no longer made sense to me was that I moved from Connecticut to Florida, where a stealth rifle is not required and AR-pattern rifles are available. The R1 required too many compromises over a quality AR-pattern rifle; magazine changes were cumbersome, the trigger was OK for a shotgun, the modularity of the AR is highly desirable, the R1’s accuracy was adequate but seriously ammo-dependent.

User Tag List